Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Exciting Experience

I'm honored to be part of Billie Johnson's Oak Tree Press blog!

Last week I was in Boone, NC to participate in a collage workshop at Cheap Joe's amazing workshop center, adjacent to his art supply showroom. Cathy Taylor was the very funny fabulous instructor. From the moment we met, I felt connected with her on many levels.

The first morning of class, I was surprised to have a manager at Cheap Joe's pull out and pass around an article from a local newspaper, The Watauga Mountain Times, about my upcoming booksigning at the Boone Waldenbooks. (I hadn't seen it until then.) They were pleased to have a published author in their midst, and the folks in the showroom even set up a table to show off my books published by Oak Tree. During the week I sold and signed many books for classmates and store customers.

It was awesome to spend five full days doing nothing but art! Joe Miller does so much for the art community nationwide, including sponsoring artist workshops with well-known instructors every week from April through October. We are fortunate to have someone like him to share his love for art and artist materials with all of us.

I'm back home now with some new ideas about how I might incorporate collage into my book promotion. Cathy Taylor was wonderful, and I met a lot of new artist friends. I hope our paths will cross again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monti...you are so busy in so many areas...one of your talks should be about time management! Thanks for posting!