Monday, December 1, 2008

Just Can't Resist

Now I don't really want to give Billie a "big head", but I want to make sure all of her authors realize how fortunate they are to have her for a publisher. She truly wants every one of the books she's put her heart and soul in to succeed. Because of that she does far more than any publisher that I know of.

Because I've been published by quite a few different houses over the years, beginning with a New York publisher, I know for a fact that most of them do very little to promote their books. Oh, yes, most of them have websites. If you are a big name, they might send you on a book tour--but only those with big names get that sort of treatment. Even the mid-list authors are expected to do most of their own promotion.

Billie has given us all ideas of things we can do to promote our books via her great newsletter. I can't even count up the number of publishers I've had over the years--but none published a newsletter with promo ideas. Most of the things I've learned have come from the Internet and hearing what others have done and from writers' conferences.

I'm just embarking on this great adventure with Billie and Oak Tree Press. I met Billie at the Public Safety Writers Association Conference. At the time I wasn't looking for a publisher have one for each of my mystery series. The more we talked, the more I realized that we had a lot in common. (We have some big differences too, but that hasn't mattered a bit.)

Saw her again at the next two PSWA conference and we became better friends.

Then I learned the publisher of my Rocky Bluff P.D. series was quitting the business. You can guess how I felt. However, it was probably a good thing. Amazon and I were the only ones selling the trade paperbacks, she was only interested in the e-books--and did little if anything to promote.

I'd promised Billie I'd come back for her writer's conference this past September. I approached her with an email query about perhaps Oak Tree picking up the next in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series, No Sanctuary. When I met with her in Taylorville she gave me a contract--which I signed.

Now, it time to start planning what I'm going to do to market No Sanctuary. For the launch, I hope to use our church's fellowship hall, serve refreshments, and hopefully introduce some new people to the folks on the Rocky Bluff P.D. and their families.

I already have a list of people I always send review copies too, and I'll be talking about No Sanctuary on all the blogs that I'm on. Once I'm fairly sure when it'll actually be available, I'll put information on my own website about how it can be ordered. I'll do a blog tour too like I've done for all my books.

I've already signed up for some conferences where I'll be on panels: I'm going to Epicon, Mayhem in the Midlands and of course, PSWA's conference: http://www.publicsafetywriter.com

I've already got a talk scheduled with a library and a bookstore in March. (By the way, you'll do much better at a bookstore if you give a talk along with your signing.) I'm also talking to a Romance Writers group in April and plan to attend the L.A. Time Book Festival.

Hopefully, this has given some of you ideas for selling your book. And for those of you with books already, hope you're taking advantage of all the holiday sales opportunities in your own backyard.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com