Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What Are You Doing New Years?

The New Year celebration has always been much more significant to me than Christmas. Maybe it's because I am not religious, or maybe it's because because all that gift-giving excess is just so...excessive. Maybe it's because the meaning of the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne are still a puzzle. I'm not sure. I only know that while still in my teens, I realized that the whole "ring out the old...ring in the the new" scenario took on a magical quality, one which enchants me still.

For me, there is no night out quite like New Year's Eve...and I prefer to put on the Ritz and have even been known to occasionally (gasp!) wear a dress and make-up. It's like Oscars night for regular people. A nice dinner, followed by some clubbing, maybe dancing, and of course, the raucous scene at midnight. I love that line...the moment...that was then, this is now.

Then on New Year's day, I'll watch the Rose Bowl parade, searching the scene in the wide shots, hoping for a glimpse of my old Southern California stomping grounds, and "gather wool" about the upcoming twelve months. In the afternoon, I'll settle down with my GOALS folder and a fresh yellow tablet and make notes which ultimately will be my objectives for 2009.

But right now, it's late afternoon on the 31st and I am recalling all the many Eve's...the Vegas ones, the cruise ship one, the San Francisco one, the house parties (both hosted and visited), the one in Manmouth when there was so much snow we couldn't get out to go out, the Big Bear one, and all the other ones whose details escape me now. In a little while, I'll meet my pal Yolanda at One East Market, Taylorville's one worthy restaurant and jazz club, and add another Eve to my long list of Eves.

So I ask you, as crooners from Sinatra to Nancy Wilson, Diana Krawl, Harry Connick Jr. and countless others have asked, "What are you doing New Years?"

My favorite is Margaret Whiting...I still have the old 78 rpm version!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

You can go to my blog to find out what I'm doing--which is not much. Glad to hear you're going to "put on the dog" and go to that snazzy restaurant. I'll be thinking about you! Have a fun one--and a most prosperous New Year!

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com