Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Can You See 2009?

What I mean is, have you really looked ahead, month by month, week by week and thought about what you'll be doing?

January is a good time to make a plan for the upcoming year. Are you planning any trips? Going to a reunion? Attending a conference for your day job? Sending your kids to camp? Is your church or civic group planning an event? Will you go to the State Fair or the Renaissance Faire (Gawd, I miss the Ren Faires! The nearest one here is in Wisconsin.)

But I digress...the point I am trying to make here is this: are there any activities coming up where you might be able to blend in a little book promotion? It's really helpful to consider it for the long haul. That way, you have plenty of ramp up time, and can do advance work, print promo, maybe get a piece in the local paper.

You also avoid the clash of two events, like planning a blog tour during the time your city has a big arts festival, or committing to hosting your inlaws on the same weekend a great writers conference happens in a town near you.

Try it!

7 comments:

F. M. Meredith, author said...

I always keep a calendar and put all my events on it so I know what I'm doing--and remember to do them.

Marilyn
aka F.M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com

Morgan Mandel said...

Good idea. I'll have to check my calendar and figure out a few more things.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Katie Hines said...

I, too, have a calendar. Most of the time it works, but sometimes I goof and find I have two things scheduled instead of one, or three instead of two, that sort of thing.

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

I try to do this as best I can. Usually I can only plan a couple of months in advance, but I hope to get better at this.

Katie Hines said...

Billie, I'm glad you posted this. I use a calendar on Outlook, but don't have the benefit of seeing more than a week at a time (even though I could set it to, I just haven't). I know there are several things coming up. Right now, I've just got those things written on paper, but not organized.

Bob Sanchez said...

Good comments. I have a novel coming out (date unknown) and have to think about promoting this one better than I promoted the last one.

Bob Sanchez
http://bobsanchez1.blogspot.com

Krista said...

I travel for work, so when I have a trip coming up, I plan a few bookstores to call a couple of weeks in advance and offer to stop in and sign any books they have on hand. More often than not, if they don't have any on hand, they'll order one or two, because an "autographed copy" sticker on the front makes it more likely to sell. And I (usually) like to meet bookstore owners in person.

-Krista
http://www.shadesofwhitematter.wordpress.com