Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Evidence It Really Works

We have to believe that all the postcards, flyers, ads, blogs and all the rest works, that woven together, it forms a bond with readers, turning them into fans. Sometimes, though, it gets a little abstract.

Today however, I witnessed true evidence. My niece, Lisa came rushing in to my sister's house in an total frenzy, rushed to the computer, printed out an email and headed back for the door. "What's up," we said. "What's the rush?"

Waving the printout at us, Lisa explained that she had received her email newsletter from Janet Evanovich which announced her latest book, but when she went to the library to reserve a copy, the librarian insisted that Evanovich didn't have a new release. Apparently a squabble ensued, which Lisa intended to win by showing the librarian Evanovich's newsletter.

Wow, I thought! That is customer loyalty! Definite proof that marketing works.

7 comments:

Joan De La Haye said...

LMAO! That's brilliant! Your niece sounds feisty. I like that.
Thanks for the giggle and it's great to know that it all does work in the long run. You just have to keep doing it.

Charlotte Phillips, Co-Author of The Eva Baum Detective Series said...

Your neice sound formidable. I hope she acquired her book.

Marilyn said...

I do think newsletters work--got one from Jan Burke recently which makes me anxious to buy her latest book.

I have a newsletter I send out once a month, anyone who'd like to get a copy, must email me at mmeredith@ocsnet.net and put newsletter in the subject line.

Billie, if you read this, check your AOL email from me.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

Brooke said...

That's hysterical. I've gotten into those scrapes with people from B&N.

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

I wish a fight would start over one of my books...

lucia said...

Thanks for this. It's inspiring. For a long time I avoided blogs, and now.... I'm learning!
Lucia
http://bluestemwriters.wordpress.com/

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Funny that the fans sometimes know long before the rest of the book industry!
Would love to know how the rest of that story panned out - please let us know!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net