Thursday, January 29, 2009

Exciting Times, for Me Anyway

The debut of No Sanctuary is coming closer and closer.

It's sort of like being close to the due date of the birth of your next child!

Time to plan my book launch--though I've had the place selected for quite awhile--the fellowship hall of our church. A couple of reasons for the location, the book is about two churches--and the room is big and the church has a nice parking lot. (Guess that's three reasons.)

Whenever I have a new book coming out I go searching for a place in our little town to hold the launch. I've had them outside a coffee shop (summertime so it worked), a recreation center combined with a buffet lunch and belly dancing, the back room of an antique store, upstairs room of the Springville Inn.

Of course it's necessary to get some good publicity. Once I get a copy of the book I'll give one to the editor our our bi-monthly newspaper and she'll write a review and report on the launch. I'll also make posters: one for the church and another for the post office and the beauty shop. I'll send emails out too.

The bigger newspaper in the next town will post a notice of what's going on around town and I'll get a note in there too.

I plan to serve food, which is always a good draw.

Can anyone tell I'm getting excited! You can read a bit about the series and the characters on the Rocky Bluff P.D. blog.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

The book launch party is the most fun time of all. That's when you know you'll have people who are proud of you and will be buying your book. Those who don't have them are missing out on a good thing.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Katie Hines said...

I hadn't thought about a book launch party, but that's a great idea. How many folks usually come to yours?

Ann Parker said...

Yay, Marilyn! I love book launch parties ... there's always a sense of excitement. Wish I could be there for yours to cheer you on in person!

Bluestocking said...

Food attracts everyone!!!!

F. M. Meredith, author said...

I've done book launch parties in all sorts of places--and had different numbers show up. Even when I was in the back room of an antique shop, I'd guess during the day, about 30 plus people came.

My most exciting one was up in Crescent City where two luncheons were held in the parlor of a Victoria Bed and Breakfast, 30 people came to each sitting. They paid for the lunch and received a book.

Marilyn
http://rockybluffpd.blogspot.com