Friday, March 27, 2009

Writing Contests


This is one of my favorite rant topics, but I'll spare you that for now and tell you about how you can win by losing. I've been sending entries to contests sponsored by the Houston Writers Guild (formerly known as the Fort Bend Writers Guild) for about three years. I send them short stories, chapters from novels, screenplays, and scripts. They send me notices that I didn’t win and comment sheets from the judges who obviously don’t know good writing when they see it. I mentioned to the organization’s factotum, Roger Paulding, that my book was published by Oak Tree Press, and the next thing I know there’s a nice write-up about the book in their newsletter complete with a picture of the cover. This is a great boost because I’ll be doing a signing in Houston in June and the Guild’s newsletter, Scribble Pad, has a large circulation, and the Guild has a large an active membership. I recommend their contests. The entry fees are low, the prize money good, and the comment sheets can be helpful.

Mike Orenduff
wwww.orenduff.org

1 comment:

F. M. Meredith, author said...

That was a good post. Sunny is a genius at contests.

One tip, always sign your blog posts and add your website URL, like this:

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com