Saturday, April 4, 2009

Writing Press Releases

In my last post, I promised to blog every week. I'm sneaking in just under the deadline. I'm chalking it up to nerves.

I've been struggling all week with writing a press release for my upcoming book, Infatuation, coming in June from Oak Tree Books. I'm combining business and pleasure tonight by going to an event at my alma mater, Central Michigan University, and giving them the press release to use in their alumni publications. Hence, why I have been stressing and working on the press release. Now if the subject had been anyone but me, I wouldn't have a problem but when it comes to promoting myself, I can't think of a thing to say. (Now if you knew me, you would know that is a rare occurrence.)

Luckily for me, I had some help from my critique group who pointed me in the right direction and helped me get over the "it's all about me" writer's block. I guess my morale here is don't be afraid to ask for help with promotions and that's what this blog is all about.

I finally finished the press release Friday night, was able to read again this morning before printing it out and now am sitting in a hotel room, waiting to head out.

What is it about being our best fan that makes it so difficult to toot our own horn? I know as a PR professional, you have to do it, but it is TOUGH. I'm sure now the initial one is over, it will get easier.

WS Gager
http://www.wsgager.com/
Infatuation coming in June

PS: Thanks for linking my website to your websites. I'm sending the websites I received to my webmaster to add.

2 comments:

BillieJohn said...

Hey Wendy...great to see your post!! Thanks for your weekly commitment, too, that is great.

Writing the self promo stuff is hard...but just like the piano, the thing that helps is practice, practice, practice.

I was pondering your cover design this afternoon...we'll have to chat so I can get your input on what needs to be a hot cover!

Billie

F. M. Meredith, author said...

It's always harder to toot your own horn--that's why Sunny and I work so well together, we often toot for one another.

Looking forward to meeting you at the PSWA conference.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith