Sunday, May 3, 2009

Scheduling Your Time

Yesterday I gave a talk at the San Joaquin chapter of Sisters in Crime. They'd provided me with questions they wanted answered and one was how did I schedule my time to do everything.

Sunny Frazier has a unique way of doing things--no doubt she'll pop on here and tell you about it.

My way is far more mundane. I try to write every single day on my work-in-progress, which happens to be another Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel. I'm at a really exciting part and would like to forge ahead, but have a few minor and one larger obstacle in the way.

The large one is I've been contracted to do a ghost writing project with a deadline, so for awhile, that will be what I have to work on first.

Smaller ones are things I do on a regular basis: Twitter, Facebook, my own blog which I try to do every day, the Stiletto Gang blog every Tuesday, Make Mine Mystery Blog twice a month and reading all my regular lists.

Of course there are the speaking engagements and conferences I'm attending. I keep track of these things on a calendar right next to my computer--and I consult it often. I have two more speaking engagements this month and Mayhem in the Midlands at the end of May.

And, as program chair for Public Safety Writers Association's conference, there are loose ends to work on for that.

And last, but not least, family matters. I have a huge family and something is always happening--good and bad. I do love to spend time with each of them when possible.

I'm certainly not a sweet young thing any longer (way at the other end of the spectrum) and can't burn the midnight oil like I did in previous years. I also need to work when my mind is freshest, which is in the morning.

Of course I'm wasting precious time writing this--but I know it's important for every blog to be kept up-to-date and since this is my publisher's blog, I want to do my part and perhaps help some of my fellow writers.

Now on to a few other writing chores before I have to go teach Sunday School. (Yes, I do that too.)

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com

No comments: