Thursday, June 18, 2009

Philadelphia Writers' Conference

As promised, I thought I would say a few words about last week's Philadelphia Writers' Conference. It was the third year in a row I have attended. It's a 3 day affair, with workshops, free materials, and sessions with editors and literary agents. It's great to just talk with other authors and share experiences. The keynote speaker at the Saturday night banquet was Sally Friedman, a freelance writer who contributes to major newspapers and the Chicken Soup series of books. She talked about her career and the sad economical state of newspapers. The workshops were very helpful. One writer, Mindy Starns Clark, showed her amazingly efficient system of keeping track of character traits and plot sequences with the use of computer applications. All the writers emphasized the need to write about all sense experiences, not just visual. Also stressed were to avoid too much early exposition, and to "show" and not "tell." The encouraged me to work harder on my writing. Of course, I passed out bookmarks promoting my novel, A Lesson in Murder, and talked up Oak Tree Press!

Gus Cileone
www.augustuscileone.com

No comments: