Monday, July 13, 2009

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras by J. Michael Orenduff


Folks, this is an outstanding book! I bought it at the PSWA conference mainly because I thought Michael was a charming guy and I liked the cover of the book. I had no idea what it was about. Oh, of course Billie told me it was a good book, but after all, she is the publisher of the Pot Thief.

What a surprise I was in for when I began reading. This is a mystery, but not like any mystery I've ever read before. The hero, Hubert, sells old pots from his shop in New Mexico, he also digs pots up which is no longer legal, and he can make a pot that looks like the old ones.

Hubert gets all tangled up in a most devious plot to steal a pot from a museum, but the book is so much more than that. I laughed out loud in several spots, the dialogue is wonderful. Orenduff knows how to spin an intelligent tale and turn a surprising phrase.

Next, I'd like him to write a cookbook. I've never read about such mouth watering food before.

If you want an entertaining time, do pick up the Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras.

Thanks, Mike for several hours of great fun.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith
Author of No Sanctuary

2 comments:

Kaye Barley said...

I've been hearing good things about this book - and now here you are saying MORE good things! Gonna have to try it.

Sunny said...

I'm promoting this book all over the Internet. It's really a charming read and it makes me excited to see New Mexico when I go to Left Coast Crime 2011 in Sante Fe! Learned a lot about pottery too. Kudos Mike for opening our eyes to a culture and to putting Pythagoras in perspective.