Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Where Are All of You? and the Next PSWA Con

I keep hoping someone else will post so I don't have to keep doing it--it's important to always have fresh material on a blog so people will keep reading it on a regular basis.

After the completion of the successful PSWA conference which everyone says it was, it's now time to start thinking about next year's. Though I plan to hand off some of the duties to others, I probably will initiate the beginning of the program planning.

It looks like we'll probably stay in Vegas as we have someone there willing to arrange for the hotel and deal with any hotel problems--whether it'll be the same hotel, don't know at this point. Same with the date, probably June, but not sure about the exact date.

We already have some ideas for topics and the speakers to go with them. We've had a request for an agent to come. I don't know any agents? Does anyone? The big hang-up is because we're small we can't pay or comp any of our speakers, no matter how big the name. I'll take any suggestions.

I'm also looking for a fireman to speak. The nice fireman who came last time didn't think he had a topic--but I often put fires in my books--wouldn't hurt to hear what a bunch of firemen (or even one) see wrong in books and movies, and how we writers could do it better. Maybe a little bit about arson?

Anyway, I'll take all suggestions.

I know Oak Tree is working on having a conference too--hope it'll be in the late summer or early fall. I'm already signed up for two conferences next year, Epicon--which by coincidence will be in New Orleans in March--and Bouchercon which is in San Francsico next year. Left Coast Crime will be in L.A. but not planning on that one--my granddaughter is getting married right after Epicon which is really close to that same time.

Going to writers' and mystery cons is a great way to get your name known, you'll probably learn something, and have a great time while you're at it--and you can take it off your income tax.

Marilyn a.k.a F. M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com

2 comments:

F. M. Meredith, author said...

Read more about the PSWA conference in the latest newsletter at http://www.publicsafetywriter.com

By the way, I'm reading the Pot Thief now and it's great. When I'm through I'll post a review here, on DorothyL and Amazon.com

I suggest that as you read other Oaktree Press books that you also write reviews and post them.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

Sunny Frazier said...

I keep urging Billie to give us rotation dates to blog, but she is reluctant to do so. I'm seriously thinking of rounding up some of the OTP authors and seeing if they are into the idea. It doesn't have to be daily, although that would be nice. The KC Writers put a new blog up every Sunday, and I know you run over there to check it out just like I do.