Sunday, August 30, 2009

Customers Who Bought The Pot Thief ...

I think what excited me most when my book came out was seeing the cover on Amazon.com. Amazon has been a boon to small publishers and unknown authors. We may not be on the shelves of the corporate chains, but our Amazon pages look just like the big boys, the same amount of space with the same features – instant order, inventory amounts, kindle versions, editorial reviews, product details, author pages, tags, customer reviews, listmania, and discussions. Two other features I never paid much attention to are “Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought” and “What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?” There was always a list of books purchased by people who bought The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras, but what about the other way around? I checked it out today and discovered Pot Thief is on the “also bought” list for some other books, among them A Thief of Time by Tony Hillerman, The Connoisseur Chasing Cezanne by and Jewels: A Secret History A Thief of Time I have no clue why Finley’s book on jewels is there, but it got good reviews from both Publishers Weekly and Booklist, so I’m happy to be in her company.

My “What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?” list is even more exciting for me and readers of this blog. According to Amazon, 84% of people who view the Pot Thief page buy the book. Is it the great cover? Is it because the page has been viewed only by my closest ten friends and eight and four-tenths of them bought the book? I think it’s the great reviews by Marilyn Meredith and Holli Castillo. 16% of the people who view my page buy Gumbo Justice! Marilyn Meredith’s No Sanctuary and Kindred Spirits, Sunny Frazier’s Where Angels Fear, and W. S. Gager’s A Case of Infatuation are also mentioned but with no percentages given. If you look at “What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?” for any Oak Tree book, chances are good you’ll see one or two other OTP books on the list. Go team.

3 comments:

Monti said...

As time goes by I am becoming more aware of all those features the Amazon site gives us. Wonderful, Mike, that you have taken the time to check each of these out. I'm making a talk about marketing and promotion in mid-Sept., and I think I'll tell authors to expand their horizons and take in more of the Amazon site!

Monti
www.marymontaguesikes.com

Holli said...

Thanks for the info Mike, and I hope you're right that my review has helped you. I try to mention the writers we know, especially the Oak Tree Press ones, whenever I can, or if I see something where I can plug someone's book I try to do it.

I was aware on Amazon of the section where it shows what other books people have bought who have also bought yours, but it never occurred to me my book may be listed as one of those for someone else's book. Something else for me to look for now.

Sunny Frazier said...

I'd never thought of that either, but WHERE ANGELS FEAR is right next to people who bought a Janet Evanovich book. Yikes! Heady comparison.

I keep meaning to do reviews, I even take notes, but never seem to get to it. I do, however, put all your books on Shelfari. Anyone else doing that?