Friday, September 18, 2009

Advantages of Working with a Small Publishing House


Help, folks! I'm making a talk tomorrow to a group that wants to learn more about publishing. Oak Tree authors have this great blog where we can share ideas. Reading about your experiences is not only interesting to me as a writer, but I often learn something new and helpful from your posts. Please share with me some of your thoughts on the advantages you have found from working with a small publisher.

Also, those of you who have self-published, please share some of your ideas about going in that direction. I imagine I'll have questions to answer about that as well.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and ideas with me.

Monti
www.marymontaguesikes.com

5 comments:

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

As a children's book illustrator, I've worked with several small local publishers. Advantages include more local/regional appeal, a closer working relationship with the publisher (I can actually meet with them in person!), and usually a bit more fun.

Kit Sloane said...

I think it's important for authors to realize that a publisher, big or small, can only do so much toward the success of what they publish. Since fiction sales depend, to a great extent, on author name recognition, it's necessary for all authors to try and get their names out there. There are dozens of ways of doing this, and everyone has to work out the best way for them to proceed.

I think working with a small publisher is ideal for the mystery author who tends to attract a smaller, but loyal, fan base. And with POD technology, we "mid-listers" are still viable to these smaller publishers since they don't have to lay out as much capital as a traditional publisher.

Generally, we are given more time to "succeed" with a smaller publisher and time is our friend in building readership.

Monti said...

Thanks, Christina and Kit. I'll use your thoughts in my program tomorrow.

All the best,
Monti

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

One more thing, with the larger publisher being young is important--that's even important with an agent. When you're as old as I am I'm grateful for the fact small publishers only care that I can write a good book.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

Monti said...

Marilyn,

The youth thing is unfortunate because everyone will grow older. I've heard it's even worse with TV and movie scripts. Is that true?

Thanks for your comment!
Monti