Monday, September 7, 2009

Book Launches and Such

Most everyone knows that I writer for two publishers, Oaktree Press and Mundania Press. For Oaktree I'm writing the Rocky Bluff P.D. series and for Mundania, the Deputy Tempe Crabtree series.

Whenever a new book comes out, I do a book launch and set up as many in person places to promote as possible. I never concentrate on just the newest book that's coming out.
I always take the newest books in both series when I'm going to be speaking and/or selling at a book fair or festival.

For my latest Tempe book, Dispel the Mist, I'm heading over to the coast (Central California) to the Nipomo Library for a book and craft fair. Of course I'm talking all my Rocky Bluff P.D. books because they are set in the coastal area. I've learned people like to read about murders in familiar places. I'm bringing more No Sanctuary because it's the latest in the series.

My Tempe books always come out in the fall and the Rocky Bluff P.D. books in the beginning of the new year. This means that along with the promotion I need to be writing two books a year. So far I've been able to do that.

The library in the town 17 miles from us called and asked me to do a presentation--perfect timing for Dispel the Mist. I hadn't been able to find a venue in Springville where I live until I received a phone call from a friend. She had exciting news about a new little place in town where they sell homemade cakes and cookies. Of course I went right up there and asked if I could do my book launch there. The owners were thrilled. (I also bought a cake and cookies which were yummy.) Now if they can stay open (new businesses in Springville have a tough time) I'll have a place for my next Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel.

In October I'm going back to the coast, but this time San Luis Obispo for an author and book festival. Great place to sell books because everyone who comes is thinking books. Received an email asking if I'd be on a panel about getting published and marketing. Of course my answer was a resounding "Yes!" I learned long ago that if I could give a talk about my books that I will sell more books.

I've got other books festivals and talks planned and hopefully I'll sell lots of books.

Meanwhile I'm promoting like crazy on the Internet. I'm going to be doing a virtual book tour which means I'll be visiting other people's blogs. I'll be having a contest of some sort and a video book trailer. That's happening in October, but I don't have any details as yet.

When I talk about my Deputy Tempe Crabtree books, I always mention my other series too, and especially No Sanctuary.

Yes, it's a lot of work but I enjoy it too especially when we make a trip to the coast. We have friends there to visit and we always have dinner at some fabulous fish restaurant.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

No comments: