Thursday, September 24, 2009

What Are You Planning for Your Next Book?


Frankly, I keep promoting all year long. I take advantage of any thing that might come along in the way of book and craft fairs. I have all my books on display. Sometimes I'm told about another book fair while I'm participating at one.

I have a new book that just came out from my other publisher called Dispel the Mist, latest in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree series. I sent out quite a few review copies and so far have received three great reviews. Of course I'm posting them all over the place.

In October I'm doing an virtual blog tour. When possible I mention my book with Oak Tree Press, No Sanctuary.

When I did a library talk this past weekend, a photographer and reporter came from the local newspaper. Monday morning I was on the front page. Tuesday morning I had an email from the program chair of the local Rotary Club asking me to come speak. Oh, while I was at the library I talked to the librarian about having a book fair at the library next spring. She thought it was a great idea!

My family is having a reunion this Saturday in Barstow CA (strange place but the Holiday Inn Express on Lenwood is great and its right between all the family members in Central and Southern California and Las Vegas. And guess what? I'm having a booksigning there at 2 p.m. Madeline Gornell, a fellow PSWA member, has promised to come as she lives nearby.

The following weekend we'll be in San Luis Obispo for the Central Coast Book and Author Fest.
October 17th is the two day Apple Festival in my town of Springville. Yes, of course, I'll have a booth there.

November 7th will find us in Temecula, besides visiting our grandkids and their kids, I'll be doing a talk about writing at the Erle Stanley Gardner Mystery Festival at 10 a.m. in the Senior Center beside the museum. I've done some sort of presentation for them every year--the first year I offered after finding the event on the Internet.

We'll be heading up to the mountain community of Oakhurst on November 21st for a book fair at the library.

Only thing I've lined up for December is having a table two days in a local art gallery downtown for their Christmas gala.

In January, Sunny and I have been asked to speak to the Clovis Book Club.

And I've already signed up for some conferences. In March, its Epicon in New Orleans where I'll be giving my How to Write a Mystery presentation. May is Mayhem in the Midlands, my favorite mystery con. And of course, June is the PSWA conference--if you haven't signed up for it, be sure to do it before October 31 for the Early Bird registration. I will be going to Bouchercon next year because it's in San Francisco. The big cons you need to sign up way ahead of time.

In the meantime, I try to blog everyday at http://marilynmeredith.blogspot and I post on Facebook a couple of times a day. I use iPing and my posts will go to twitter and all my other social networks--saves a lot of time.

Anyway, that's what I can remember, but it may give you some ideas of what you might be doing. If everyone shares we can pick up new ideas from one another.

3 comments:

Maryann Miller said...

You always amaze me at how much promoting and selling you incorporate into your routines. Blows me away.

Monti said...

You have a busy schedule, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing.

B&N is sponsoring the second annual Books in the Park at Waterside in Norfolk on Sunday. I'm one of the many authors participating in book signings there.

In mid-December, we will be at Carmel, CA. Do you California folks have any suggestions for book events or places I might contact for signings? I'm not familiar with that area.

Monti

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Monti, check online for bookstores and libraries in the area and email them. Also check Monterey since it's nearby.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com