Saturday, October 24, 2009

I am no longer a Bouchercon Virgin


I have all kinds of things I want to blog about, but time hasn't been on my side. Marilyn's blog has forced me to at least get something out there. My Bouchercon experience was wonderful. I had no idea what to expect. What I found were tons of wonderful mystery fans and handed out so many postcards about my book, A Case of Infatation, to people who really seemed interested in buying it. I also met some great authors. My first night out, Michael Black invited me to dinner with some Mystery Writers of America friends and I met Julie Hyzy who won two major awards. I can't wait to start her book. I also met Hank Phillipi Ryan and am in the middle of hers and am enjoying it. I received a hot ticket to spend an hour with Joseph Finder and that was great. All the authors I met were friendly, approachable and great fun! I also had two great roommates who taught me the ropes!


For information to share, the Amazon presentations had the most interesting information or at least validation that ebooks are making a difference. One statistic was the 15 percent of book sales for bestsellers is from downloads compared to only 5 percent last year. That is a big jump. Also, Amazon is rolling out new things for authors to get them more on the page. I will dig out my notes and do a whole blog on that soon, I promise. Amazon also says Kindle numbers are going through the roof and don't seem worried about competition. (Should be an interesting Christmas season! I can't decide which one I want on my list but am leaning toward Kindle.)


Other things I learned a lot about were getting reviews from three of the top Mystery Review publications. Really want to look at doing more of that but they want Advance Reading Copies of the book at least eight weeks if not 12-15 weeks prior to publication.


I took pages of notes and will be featuring them soon. Just need to get out from under the mountains of laundry, bare cupboards, and giant dust bunnies as well as trying to get some writing done to dig in. Hope this enough to whet you appetite for more.
W.S. Gager
A Case of Infatuation - now available
www.wsgager.com

6 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

That was what I wanted to hear. Sounds like you had a great first Bouchercon experience.

Marilyn

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

P.S. Did you ever run into Billie?

WS Gager said...

Nope. I never did. I looked . . .

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

That's one thing that I don't like about Bouchercon, hard to find someone.

Holli said...

You make it sound so exciting I think I may have to go next year!

WS Gager said...

Next year it is in San Fransisco and I hear the rooms are $249 a night. Not sure I can afford to do that. The year after it is in St. Louis and I'm going to try and go to that one.

W.S. Gager
A Case of Infatation
www.wsgager.com