Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I was a warmed up act for Sarah Palin


I had a signing at Barnes and Noble tonight and was pre-empted in almost everything I did by a rogue, or should I say "Going Rogue!" The BN new bookstore in Grand Rapids, Michigan, was one of the first locations for a Sarah Palin signing tomorrow. Sarah would only sign stock from Barnes and Noble and it came out today and people poured in to get them before they ran out. I had a great spot and I directed dozens of people inside the store to the stacks and stacks of the former McCain running mate's tell-all book. One of the good things was mine was one of the few mysteries available. They mystery section was covered in blue partitions for privacy for the signing the next day.

I can't say it was bad although I wish I could have sold as many books as she did, but I did do okay. People were really nice and I had some great chats and hopefully have some new dedicated fans.

I couldn't help but think what my character in "A Case of Infatuation" would have thought about it all. Mitch Malone, crime beat reporter extraordinaire, would have been in the thick of things. I did get to watch all the police professionals figure out escape routes, security issues and how to deal with the masses of people and press. Mitch would have been in his element and will be using this knowledge in a future book.

Now if I could only have given a book to Sarah and she could have given me a hand. Now that would have been truly rogue! Alas, I was a day early!

W.S. Gager
www.wsgager.com

7 comments:

Janet Glaser said...

What an opportunity for you! A crowded store of book buyers passing and hopefully stopping at your location to pick up a great mystery--A Case of Infatuation. I'm sure this will be a fun tale to include in Mitch's next escapade. Where is the new BN in Grand Rapids?

WS Gager said...

It is at Woodland Mall and has two stories full of books with escalators inside and everything. It is a beautiful store with lots of room to display books and authors. My daughter went with me and spent two hours making her Christmas list! Yikes, but it could be worse. I love buying books!

Theresa Grant said...

Glad it was a good experience. They should pass your book out to the people standing in line--a great read really helps to pass the time!
Congrats!

M.M. Gornell said...

What an interesting experience! Glad you had a successful book signing. It would have been great to get a copy in her hands...maybe next time!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Book store signings are not my favorite--but yours sounded like it wasn't too bad, and at least there were lots of people to engage with.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

Maryann Miller said...

Your brush with fame. What fun. Too bad you missed Palin, but perhaps that is for the best.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Hey at least a lot of people were in the store and you could make some contacts. I like Theresa's idea of handing your book out to the people waiting in line.