Thursday, December 3, 2009

ahhh, PR

With my new one, The Fat Lady Sings, just out, I've been re-working my PR. Any book that has a particular "hook" (mine revolves around a light opera repertory company's performance of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta) provides its own suggestions. My story got me Googling G&S productions worldwide and an easy search provided multiple addresses of G&S companies. I sent each one a flyer with postcard attached saying that "this story could prove profitable if offered during intermissions," or something like that (I hand wrote it 48 times and should remember!) So far the famous Lamplighters Musical Theater of San Francisco has already told me they're interested in my signing for them during intermissions in their January season. We shall see how this works out.

Then I utilize my online sources, the main one being DorothyL, the librarian-readers network of over 3000 people. DorothyL is not for the faint of heart. Half the time they seem to dislike writers, but the other half of them are usually are interested in new titles and I've been with them for ten long years so a lot of these people "know" me. I also do a small giveaway of, this time, three copies of the book in exchange for being reviewed on the list. 3000 readers with one posting. That's a good PR venue.

I live in a very rural part of Northern CA and the nearest bookstore is a gooooood hour away over a 4600 ft. mountain! So I concentrate on local venues that don't require daylong trips. I keep a pack of my latest postcard on me and put a pile of them at every coffee place (we may not have bookstores, but we have FOUR coffee spots!), and on every bulletin board. The cards are great, colorful and shiny and two-sided with all the pertinent info on the back and I've watched people take off with half a dozen. I believe Overnite Printers online did them. It took longer than overnight, but they are really a keeper.

Aside from the above, I'll see what else turns up. I do quite a bit of public speaking and enjoy that a lot. I read the local papers and see who invites speakers. 90% of the time they want you to bring and sell your books.

I do think for new authors the main attack should be getting your NAME out there. That's the only thing readers have to alert them that you have something they "should" read. NAMES! Non-fiction has SUBJECT. Fiction only has NAMES. I'm not a blogger (except for here), but there are diverse ways of doing this getting recognized bit. Not easy, but possible. So try EVERYTHING! That's what I do and then I discard those venues that are too time-consuming, costly, or don't do a thing for me, PR-wise.

It's all a matter of trial and error and evaluating it all, all the time, and then adjusting so it fits your lifestyle, pocketbook, and mental health!

Whew!!!!

www.kitsloane. net

1 comment:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I'm so glad you've joined us, Kit. I haven't seen you for ages. Kit and I go way back at Left Coast Crimes and Bouchercons.

Marilyn