Sunday, February 14, 2010

Things Change


Things change. Whenever we write a non-fiction book, we need to remember those words. When I wrote my book, Hotels to Remember, I had no idea the hotels I included would change so quickly. It is indeed a "snapshot in time."

The Adam's Mark St. Louis has undergone a $63 million transformation
to the 910-room Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront. The building is still within the shadow of the Arch, but the photos show no evidence of the beautiful and amazing art work that made the hotel so special I chose it for my book. Where is all the gorgeous art that filled the lobby? Where is the outdoor art that formed the unique view from windows on one side of the hotel? Where is Faust's Restaurant?

I have not been to St. Louis to see the transformed hotel, but I'd like to visit it. I want to go to the new Busch Stadium and watch the Cardinals play.

The Hyatt Regency Union Station is also part of my book. It is usually among the views shown as I watch the Cardinals play on Direct TV. Since it is a historical landmark for the city, I hope it will not change.

Things change. We have only a snapshot in time.

Mary Montague Sikes
www.marymontaguesikes.com