Tuesday, March 16, 2010

short Left Coast Crime report

I just returned from Los Angeles where I visited all the family and dropped into Left Coast Crime for my panel and to renew some old acquaintances. It was great to see Sunny Frazier, too! The conference was NOT the best organized I've ever attended—late panel assignments, day passes available at a much reduced rate (sob) but only at the last moment and even the poor program was printed absolutely backwards. Those in charge must have been furious!

BUT I do think conferences can be valuable. It really does get you SEEN and your name out there, if only to the people you run into, see your panel, or chat up in the elevator. I was glad to see my three last books at several venues in the book room and I got a nice invite to speak at a local Sisters In Crime event, TBA later.

So was it worth the money? I think, from viewing the crowd, that quite a few people thought not, but, as I already confessed, I really went down to see my children and grandchildren, so it worked out fine for me, with enough PR to make me feel nice and business-like!

Kit

2 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I hadn't heard any complaints about LCC elsewhere. Haven't heard much from Sunny yet. I'll be going to Bouchercon, just didn't think I should do both.

And of course I'll be at the PSWA conference which I hope no one will complain about lack of organization.

Marilyn

Morgan Mandel said...

I usually get more inspired after going to a conference. It's worth going to one just for that.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com