Monday, April 12, 2010

Nothing Like a Book Event


The rest of the title should read, to let you know just how old your are.

I read about these authors going on book tours from town to town, sometimes from state to state, bookstore to bookstore, and after going to Ridgecrest to speak to the Ridgewriters about POV, I know I could never do that. Ridgecrest is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from our place--if we drove faster and didn't make rest stops, we could probably do it quicker. In any case, Ridgecrest is a medium sized town out in the middle of the Mojave Desert, next to China Lake Naval Air Station.

Of course to get there we must drive through Bakersfield, Tehachapi, across the desert, past Red Rock Canyon State Park, and finally through Inyokern and on into Ridgecrest. Ridgewriters generously takes their speakers out to dinner and then afterwards, put them up in BevLen Bed and Breakfast, the only B and B in the area. It's a great place.

The photo is of hubby getting ready to eat his grapefruit, the beginning of a great breakfast served by our hostess, Bev.

I forgot to take a photo at the speaking engagement.

This group did a bang-up job of publicity, with two articles in the newspaper and a great article in their own newsletter, so there was a good turn-out. In fact, the room was about as full as it could get. I talked about POV and I hope that everyone now knows more about POV than they did when they came.

We had a good night's sleep and headed for home. We managed to get there a bit before 2. I spent the rest of the day unpacking, catching up on emails and regular mail.

I'm writing this the day after--and I'm still tired. That's how I know I could never do the kind of book tours many authors do--and Michael Orenduff did on his way to PSWA conference last year.

My next event is a booksigning, but it's only in the next town, 17 miles away.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

3 comments:

Monti said...

It makes me tired just reading about your trip. That's a long drive. For me, it would be like driving from my VA home to Raleigh, NC or into PA north of Baltimore, MD. Thanks for sharing!

Monti

WS Gager said...

It was a long drive but you had beautiful scenery! Hubby looks good! You are flying to Vegas, right? Not driving?
Wendy
W.S. Gager
www.wsgager.com

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Hi, Monti, California is a really long state--most things I do require driving.

Wendy, we always drive to Las Vegas. My sis lives there, so we spend one day with her before and after the conference. Need to drive because I bring all the conference folders etc.

Marilyn