Monday, May 10, 2010

Blog Jog Day

Just a quick follow up for Blog Jog Day from yesterday. In case you missed it, 150 blog writers joined, each having a link to a different blog.

For me, I would say it was successful. I had a lot more traffic than usual to my blog, and I had a few people decide to follow it. I also discovered I did not have the tool or settings set up correctly for people to follow my blog, so if you have clicked to follow it before, or if you want to follow it now, please go on and click follow now that I have it correct. The link is http://gumbojustice.blogspot.com/


Figuring that out alone was worth joining Blog Jog day.

I did note a few problems. Some bloggers seemed to have signed up and forgot about it, so while a blog linked to theirs, their blog didn't link to anything. In that case, I had to go back to the Blog Jog home page and figure out the next blog. Also, a few links didn't work, and some folks had the next blog address correct, but failed to activate it as a link, so I had to copy and paste the link in the address bar.

Some people also were not pleased that some of the blogs were adult content, although that part didn't bother me. While I may act like a child, I am an adult, and the one adult site I saw said clearly, Adult Site, and had to be clicked on in order to access it.

Some Blog Joggers also would have liked for the blogs to be categorized or grouped, so if the jogger only wanted to see fiction writer blogs, she or he could do that. My personal opinion is that grouping the blogs sort of defeats the point of the day, in that you click on a link and get to see something you ordinarily either wouldn't have known about or wouldn't have thought to look at. If the blogs were categorized, it would limit the sites that actually get seen by allowing people to close their minds to sites they ordinarily wouldn't have visited.

In the end, I don't know if additional visitors at this point add up to additional sales or not. I do know that a lot more people looked at my blog than usual, and if they're interested, just might return.

Also, aside from the promotion potential, I found quite a few blogs I am now following. There were several promotional sites, a lot of author sites, one of which actually compelled me to buy a book on Kindle, but there were also lots of different types of sites I ordinarily wouldn't have thought to look for.

I viewed several inspirational and religious sites, a humor site, and book review sites I didn't know about. I am still looking at all of these, and not every site out there drew my interest, but I glanced at each one of them and found a lot of blogs that are definitely worth my time to read.

So all in all I would say it was success. I got my name out there a little more, found a few new followers and some new sites to explore, discovered some new writers, and received some nice comments.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice

3 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I got a about 20 more followers and more visitors than I usually have on my blog. It was frustrating when you came upon a blog that didn't do what they were supposed to, but like Holli I went back and tried to find the next one.

Marilyn

Holli said...

I should add that the link that linked to my blog was one of those that didn't work, and I was concerned that some people might not know to go back to the home page to find my link.

My theory is that the same people who don't know how to make an address into a link on their site probably wouldn't know to go back to the home page to find the next link, but that's the breaks. I would still call it successful for me. (Hope I'm not setting the bar too low!)

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I had 171 visitors on Blog Jog day.