Sunday, May 9, 2010

More on Promotion

First, I wanted to wish all you mothers out there a very Happy Mother's Day. I realized I was assigned to blog on Mother's Day at the same time I realized Blog Jog day was scheduled for Mother's Day, and thought there must be a reason for that.

I signed up weeks ago for Blog Jog Day to have my blog linked to a bunch of blogs in a series, with each blog having a link to the next blog. My only requirement was to post a link to the next blog, and advertise Blog Jog day with the link to my blog. I ran into a few tricky moments, when "Blog Jog" ended up being an entirely different phrase when I typed too fast and accidentally replaced the g's at the end of Blog and Jog with different letters, but I caught it relatively quickly (thank God, I don't want an R rating on my blog!) and edited it (hopefully) before anyone saw it. My blog over there is http://www.gumbojustice.blogspot.com/

It should be an interesting experiment to see if more people actually visit my blog. If it works, maybe we could set something up like that one day with Oak Tree writers, or other writers who are interested. Although I have everyone's links on my two websites, if my websites aren't getting hits, it doesn't help.

I am always trying to think of more ways to use the internet for promotion. The trick is in determining what works and what doesn't, and then when you find something that does work, share the information. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

My husband is also always trying to think of promotion ideas. He had the idea to paint my website on the side of one of his trailers. He got the idea from a billboard a politician put up in downtown New Orleans with just a first name on it. It drew so much attention, with everyone trying to guess who it was and why it was up, he's thinking the same could happen when he pulls the trailer around. Like I said, the trick is to figure out what works, and if it works, I'm all for it. (He hasn't done it yet, but I'll let you know if it works when he does.)

Completely off topic, we won our case in court against the code enforcement director who revoked the zoning for our bar, so our bar is finally open. The State has 60 days to appeal the court's decision, so we are laying kind of low and not doing a big grand opening until the delays for filing the appeal have run, but we are open, so anyone who comes to New Orleans is welcome to come in to The Last Stand and drink on the west bank. In a few months we should have video poker machines, and then the fun should really start. I'm also planning to keep copies of the book at the bar, so when people are really drunk and loose with the money, we can make some easy sales. Hey, that relates back to promotion, so I guess it wasn't completely off topic after all.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice

5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Holli, I'm doing the blog jog day and visiting blogs, put keep running into spots where people goofed. So far, though, I've had 80 visits and a big increase in followers.

Marilyn

WS Gager said...

Great post Holli! Glad to hear the bar is open and let me know about the promotional ideas. I've got a couple I've thought of and will outline in my blog here coming up.

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I see you're a part of blog jog day too. According to my analytics, 55 people visited my blog yesterday.
That's far from a record. I've had many more visits in one day. So to answer the question if it worked, I can't say yes or no. What I can say is that I hope it introduced some new people to my blog.

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

Forgot to say that Sara is back on CSI now.

Sunny Frazier said...

PARTY AT HOLLI'S PLACE!

Well, I was in Kauai and missed this whole Blog Jog. That's okay, I suck at running. The island was beautiful and now I'm ready to go back to work.