Tuesday, June 22, 2010

July is around the corner

Tonight I saw the temporary cover for my upcoming book, Fairytales Are Fragile. It is very exciting to see a book come to life. Writing is such fun, following an idea and making it into a reality. One thing I have learned recently though is to go with the old fashioned print after writing or save on a disk. I had started a new book and was into page seven when my computer crashed. I was hit by lightening and lost all my pictures, stories, email contacts etc. I had a back up, but it also was wiped clean. I now refer to it as the Great Computer Crash of 2010, my family has heard way too much on the subject.

Besides the book angle, I also am a freelance writer for several antique tractor publications. If you like old iron, check out the Red Power Round Up at LaPorte Indiana going on this week. It is fun to learn the stories people have about their equipment and their lives. I guess it all comes down to being fascinated with the who, what, when and where and mysteries of strangers, okay, I admit it, I am just plain nosey!

4 comments:

Holli said...

I know the computer woes- my computer crashed superbowl Sunday right as the game was starting. I was in the middle of my manuscript for my second novel. Fortunately, I got everything back, although it took about a month. Backing up everything on disk or flash drive is imperative.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

An even better solution is to have an off-site back up service. I use Mozy and it sure is easier, it comes in automatically and backs up everything.

By the way, a reminder to all, please print your name at the bottom of your post so we can all see it.

cindy ladage said...

Thanks for the advice on backing up!
Cindy Ladage

WS Gager said...

I can add my woes to that. My computer wouldn't boot up while I was in Vegas. Luckily my husband is a super computer guy and got it back. Something with the battery and the plug in and the computer wasn't getting any power. Who knew!
Wendy
W.S. Gager
www.WsGager.com