Saturday, September 4, 2010

BLOG TALK RADIO

Blog Talk Radio
By
Denny Griffin

Authors spend a lot of time thinking and talking about promoting themselves and their books. Most of us who have been involved in the writing business for any length of time have developed various promotion techniques that work for us. And we’ve probably discarded many times that number that proved to be flops.

One method I tried was to start my own show on Blog Talk Radio. I got the idea when I was booked as a guest on a BTR show during my Virtual Book Tour. Afterward, I researched BTR hosting opportunities and liked what I found. It was free, could be done from home, and could be heard by anyone with a computer and Internet capability.

I began my BTR career in December 2007, with a series of weekly programs titled Meet the Author. Those were half hour commercial-free shows, in which I interviewed newly published authors. It gave the guests an opportunity to get their name and book information out and also provided me with the chance to bring my own name to the attention of the listeners.

However, I need to point out that like everything else I’ve encountered since I started writing, success didn’t happen overnight. My first show had only a dozen listeners. After several weeks the audience increased to about 100 for most shows. And after a few months, I was reaching between 250 and 300 listeners. Were those earth-shattering numbers? Certainly not. But my name was becoming known to people who otherwise probably would never have heard of me. Plus, it was fun and didn’t cost me a dime.

I think that more important than the show itself; I began getting offers to guest on other BTR shows. In those venues I was able to talk about myself and my books; something I couldn’t do on my own program.

As my name recognition grew through BTR and other efforts, I decided I could increase my audience by switching programming from author shows to true crime. I’m currently co-hosting the Crime Wire show on Tuesday nights with domestic violence expert Susan Murphy-Milano, and renowned private investigator Vito Colucci. Our audience numbers in the thousands.

So I don’t look at just the results of Meet the Author in determining the success or failure of my BTR efforts. I consider what happened as a result of that first program and where I am today. And in that context, I’m convinced that BTR was one of my better decisions.

If you’re an author looking for more exposure and haven’t considered doing your own show on BTR, I encourage you to give it some thought. It can be a lot of fun and the price is right.

1 comment:

Holli said...

Denny, I applaud people who can host radio or t.v. shows-- it may not seem like it because I talk a lot, but I really can't stand the sound of my own voice. (I sound like a ten year old boy.) BTR seems like a great promotional tool on so many levels, and I wish I was brave enough to do it myself. Kudos to you, that's a great niche to be able to fill.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice