Sunday, October 31, 2010

New in New Orleans

A few months ago I received an e-mail from Gina Misiroglu over at Red Room, a website for writers/readers that I belong to. It wasn't addressed only to me, but was the kind that goes out to all of the writers on the site. (As an aside, this was not an easy website to get myself listed as a writer- I had to email and show them that my publisher fit the criteria for me to be listed as a writer even though Oak Tree wasn't listed in the automated system of publishers they accept. In any event, I made them realize I was and they added me.)

Back on point, the e-mail advised that AOL Travel was looking for travel articles on ten particular cities if anyone was interested. I replied to see if New Orleans was one of those cities, and fortunately for me it was. The list I was sent had a wide of variety of different aspects of New Orleans, and it was extremely difficult to choose which one to write about. Finally, because some people think I have an accent and use unusual expressions, I decided to write about New Orleans slang.

I sent the article in and basically forgot about it, until I received an e-mail yesterday saying it was published on the AOL site. You can read it here http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/26/new-orleans-slang/

I think part of the agreement is I can't tell the deal involved, but I believe I can say it was not a paying gig, but money is donated to a non-profit charity you designate. Also, the article contains a link to my Red Room blog and my novel, which means people who might bother to read about New Orleans may see it and check it out, since my book is set in New Orleans.

I like trying new things and different ways to promote, but even if it doesn't result in more sales, it's kind of exciting having something published out there on a different type of website than a writer's site. Maybe I'm too new to the industry to be concerned about not getting paid for every little word I type, or maybe I'm just that vain, but I think it was worth the few minutes it took to write to see my name on a different website.

Either way, I'm glad to see it published.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice

1 comment:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I thought I left a comment before. Guess not. Anyway I read the article and it's great.

Marilyn