Saturday, October 30, 2010

The writer's life can be SPOOOOKY!


THE WRITER’S LIFE CAN BE SPOOOOOKY!!!


I was thinking on this Halloween 2010 that all of us writers lead very suspenseful lives. Who knew when we began writing that we’d be in situations like these! When I began seriously writing in the 1980s I just figured I’d write and write and never finish a book anyway so I certainly wasn’t worrying about “what next.” I’m a slow writer to begin with but I did finish my first book and then was confronted with a new reality, the “now what?” These were the days of no Internet and I spent many hours riding buses to the nearest library, checking out these already out-of-date books titled “Getting An Agent,” and “How to Sell Your Manuscript.” Querying agents and editors in those days meant waiting. Waiting and waiting. Weeks often turned into months and the suspense of waiting for the mailman was intense!


Now, of course, after almost 8-books, 6-agents, and 3-publishers, the suspense is mostly under control. I’ve learned, finally, to just let it (the book’s release) happen. I’ve had a printer go out of business in the middle of my (naturally, it was mine) print run. Two publishers go out of business and 6-agents who didn’t sell a thing. Still I’ve had the fun and the THRILL of seeing all my stories in print. I’ve done signings, talks, lectures (there is a difference!) and conferences. There has been the surprise of a book that really “took off” and the bottom line that no one knows why it did. There’s been the frustration when, at the beginning of the economic bust, boxes of ordered books were returned to the distributor unopened. Each new book that comes out brings its own surprises, adventures, AND suspense!


And above is the cover by my wonderful Hollywood art director daughter for the 8th in the soon-to-be-released Margot & Max Mystery series, THE MAGICIANS.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!


Kit

www.kitsloane.net

5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

That is the most fantastic cover, Kit! Congratulations on the new release. Your history sounds like mine, don't know how many agents didn't do anything for me, but I too many, I've had publishers quit on me and one die, never had the printer thing happen...yet. Best of luck with the book.

Marilyn

Kit Sloane said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I'll tell Annie you like her latest work. It's strictly a painting this time, no photoshop! Remember the Vegas B'Con when Hap stole the centerpiece and gave it to her as a consolation prize?

Yeah, we older writers have been through it all, for sure! But we're still here!

xox
Kit

Anonymous said...

Love the cover, Kit. Maximum eye-catching quality that should draw lots of readers.

Kit Sloane said...

Thanks, Anonymous! If you're interested, the other 7-covers that annie has created through the years are on my webpage, under the "goodies" part in a segment my webgal calls, "Under the Covers"!

http://www.kitsloane.net

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yep, I remember my husband's thievery. She definitely deserved the prize for best cover. We had a great time at that B'con. One of the best times, though it wasn't really the best B'con.

Marilyn