Monday, November 29, 2010

Couch Surfing

I have procrastinated enough on the final edit of my second book. The manuscript has sat at my dining room table for a week. Untouched. Before that, I carted it on a coast trip, where it also sat on a dining room table. Pushed aside.
I finally decided it was the table that was getting in my way. The prospect of sitting on a rather uncomfortable dining room chair, relentlessly turning pages, religiously scanning for errors, was not appealing.
So following an inkling of inspiration, I picked up the thick pile of pages and moved to the most comfortable couch in the house. I brought my iPhone in case anyone called, found an empty legal pad, and turned on the gas fireplace.
Suddenly, editing took on a whole new aura. My iPhone has both a dictionary application and internet access. Spelling errors? Just typed ‘em in. Wondering if and when I capitalize mom and dad? Log onto the internet.
Suddenly it was not so much work, as it was a game. Couch internet surfing and iPhone editing. Aided by the ambiance of a warm fire.
And by the way, you only capitalize mom and/or dad when you can replace them with a name.

2 comments:

Sunny Frazier said...

Ain't technology wonderful?

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yes, I love the fact that we can do so much--way better than when I first started writing.

Marilyn