Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Monday Promotions


I’m trying something new at my W.S. Gager on Writing blog on Monday. In December I did the "12 days of Christmas Great Reads and Great Friends" and my blog stats careened upward to heights I never expected. I featured authors who had made a difference in my career and gave unselfishly of themselves. Because these authors (who included our own Sunny, Holli and Marilyn) were from different genres and areas of the country the people who came were varied and unique. The point of the blog wasn’t to drive people to my site but thank people. A great benefit I didn't anticipate.

Sometimes you learn the best lessons by accident. The topics about how to market on the Murder Must Advertise loop agree you can’t be pushy or hit people over the head with your message. But you do have to tell people you are a writer and wait for them to inquire. They also agree that some of the best promoters unselfishly give of themselves to others. I’ve always believed in volunteering but never put that lesson into practice with my writing. So in the spirit of the new year, I’m trying to give back within my limited knowledge of the book business.

Monday will be the debut of Mitch Malone Mondays. Each Monday Mitch will interview authors or characters about their books. In Mitch’s unique hard-nosed style as a crime beat reporter, he asks questions other interviewers might not in such a straightforward fashion. First up is one of my critique partners, Joselyn Vaughn, who knows Mitch very well and she gives as good as he tries to get her about her female characters. The following week is our own Sunny. This interview had some surprisingly frank answers about astrology and the psychic realm. Dare I say Sunny comes out of the closet about her gifts?

I have a few others scheduled but am willing to do anyone who asks if they understand the questions are in Mitch’s style and will not be sugarcoated. I also would like to do some with Mitch interviewing other characters. I can see Mitch going a couple of rounds with Ryan from Gumbo Justice or Hubie from the Pot Thief series.

Will these blogs sell my books? I don’t know. I hope they sell a few for whoever is featured but I can’t predict that answer either. What I do know is I’ve been having great fun being rude and obnoxious in the guise of Mitch Malone. I’m good with that and if it helps others, even better. Email me at wsgager@yahoo.com if you are interested in a Monday on the hot seat.

Almost forgot: W.S. Gager On Writing: www.wsgager.blogspot.com to check it out.

5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Marilyn

WS Gager said...

So what is a good date for you? Jan. 31? Or would you like it to coincide with a new book tour?

Sunny Frazier said...

Wendy is the nicest person, but her alter ego Mitch can really get a rise out of people! I was surprised at what I blurted out when he interviewed me, but he hit some nerves when I recalled MY days as a reporter! He shoulda known who he was talking to! I've got his number.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Why don't we do it in March?

Marilyn

WS Gager said...

Thanks for stopping by Sunny. Can't wait until people see your responses next Monday.

Marilyn: I'll email you with dates and questions.
Have a great day all! Snowing like crazy today. Should get six inches. Fun!
Wendy