Saturday, March 19, 2011

Visiting EPICon in Williamsburg

 Last week, I had the opportunity to attend the EPICon event in nearby Williamsburg. Getting to visit with our publisher Billie Johnson was a special treat. She did an outstanding job as a member of a publisher's panel. Also, it was nice to see Mike Orenduff and watch him handle discussion with gentlemanly grace on a unique panel of authors with diverse interests.                                                                              

It was interesting to learn what types of promo items work best for conferences. Bookmarks and post cards got high marks from publisher panelists. Business cards with e-mail addresses, web site and blog site addresses were especially important giveaways.

Items that people use were highly recommended. After all, they don't throw away fans on a hot day. One panelist recalled how people lined up when an author gave away luggage tags. Often authors are encouraged to send things for a conference. If you aren't going, don't send items because they will get thrown away at the end. Also, be sure that your handouts are appropriate for the group.

Since I had little idea of what this conference was about, I was glad I could check it out after only a short drive from my home. This event was much smaller than I expected it to be since e-books are becoming such an important part of the market. I expect the conference will be larger next year. I was proud that Billie and Mike were outstanding contributors to this year's event.

Congratulations to Mike for winning the best mystery award and to Marilyn Meredith and Beverly Lauderdale for being finalists at EPICon.!

Mary Montague Sikes
NotesAlongTheWay

5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

This is the first Epicon I've missed in all the years they've had them. I've always enjoyed them--but they are historically on the small side. My reason for not attending this year was because of the difficulty getting from here to there.

I'm not sure next year will be any easier.

Marilyn

Monti said...

I heard you had problems with travel details. Overheard several folks asking Billie about you, so you were definitely missed!

Monti

Beverly Lauderdale said...

Thank you, Monti, for specific details about Epicon. It's always helpful to learn what give-away items have the highest success rate. Also,I echo Marilyn's comments in regard to travel to Williamsburg. With an ill mother, I needed a fast exit plan from East to West Coast, and that wasn't possible with so many plane changes.

Am delighted that OTP had such a strong influence this year.

Monti said...

Sorry about your mother, Beverly. Am glad this was helpful!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I hope some of you will join us at PSWA, that's an easy place to get to.

Marilyn