Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Great Day, Thanks to Sunny


Several years ago, Sunny told me about going to a Reader's Group in Turlock. She gave me the email address to contact and said it was a great gig and I ought to go there too.

Of course I did exactly what she said. I heard from the program chairperson and we discussed a good time for me to come which ended up being over a year later. She was good about keeping in touch, telling me how many people to expect, and directions.

Turlock is about 3 1/2 hour drive from my home so I asked my daughter-in-law to come with me as the driver. Thank goodness, the highway was crowded and under construction in part. We arrived a scant 10 minutes ahead of time for a beforehand lunch with two of the officers of the group.

From there we went to the church where they meet and over 40 women gathered. I had a great time telling them about the inspiration for each of my books and making them laugh. Afterwards I sold 23 books. And even better, I was paid quite well for my efforts. I'm sure Sunny told me about that part, but I'd forgotten so it was a wonderful surprise.

It was a great day that wouldn't have happened if Sunny hadn't shared with me.

Sunny and I have done several gigs together, but my point is, when something great like that comes up for you, pass the information along to another writer who might be able to take advantage of it. Of course it's possible the group might not be in the market for what you write, but the more we share this kind of information among ourselves, the better it is for all of us.

So--once again, thank you, Sunny Frazier.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

4 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I was just looking at the photo and it's interesting to note, the jacket I had on looks purple, but it's black and silver. I wonder why that is?

Sunny Frazier said...

I love promoting Marilyn and we often do it because we live relatively close by. This was a terrific group of women, book buyers as well. I happened to speak at their Valentine party and got to eat lots of goodies. Plus, the members showered me with gifts!

What to take away from this? Don't ignore small towns and small groups. They are often flattered (awed) to meet an author in person. Promote each other and share--there's plenty for all of us.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yep, Sunny is right, the small town groups are always receptive. You'll always do better at something like this than you'll ever do at a big con like Bouchercon or Left Coast Crime (unless you're Mike Orenduff) where all the superstars in the book world congregate.

beverlyalauderdale said...

I totally agree with the small venue idea.For example,on April 28 I'm one of four speakers at an Authors' Festival held at the Modoc County Library (this huge Northeastern California county--so rural that it doesn't even boast one deparment store within its boundaries--has an under 10,000 population, but the population reads).