Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jambalaya Justice


I am excited to announce Jambalaya Justice is now shipping from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I can't wait for it to be available on Kindle and Nook as well.

I happened to set up my author page for Manic Readers finally, and on the side bar saw a review had been posted to Amazon of Jambalaya Justice already, from someone I didn't know. It was only 4 stars, but it was actually an excellent review. The part I most appreciated was that the reader said you didn't need to read Gumbo Justice to enjoy Jambalaya Justice. That was one of my biggest fears, not knowing if I included enough back story for the current story to make sense, or if the previous information was introduced in a subtle enough fashion. There is nothing as distracting as an info overload. Most writers make the mistake of info dumping at the beginning, but even doing it further into the book really can draw the attention away from the story.

I envy those writers who can wrap up a story so completely in a novel that they barely need to refer to anything that has already happened in the past. Especially ones who tie up the story and still end with a cliff hanger to push you into the next book.

In any event, I was extremely pleased to see a review from someone I didn't know. As writers, we all have writer friends who will go and write an excellent review for us even if they weren't particularly thrilled with the book, right or wrong it's a little quid pro quo for when their book comes out. And of course family members who mean well will gush in a book review, not realizing anyone who reads the review may guess it's the writers mama or daddy writing the review. So it did my heart good to get a completely unsolicited good review from someone I don't know, especially when I know only a few books were sold before they were resubmitted.

So now it's time to up the promotion and get the machine going again, as I work on the third novel Chocolate City Justice, which so far is a little different than the first two books. Taking place just as Katrina starts, I don't have my courtroom scenes to fall back on, which I think is one of my strengths but also my safety net. In Chocolate City, it's just the characters who are getting tested by mother nature and by each other, and it might just be a little bit darker than the first two. I can't wait to finish it!

I am also trying to organize my blog so I have different features each day, and am hoping to have more guest blogs, interviews and reviews, so once I have it organized I'll be sending out a shout out for anyone who wants to contribute and get a little face time on a blog. Until then, check out Jambalaya Justice and leave an unbiased review if you get a chance.

5 comments:

resume help said...

THats really nice really usefull)

pay for essay said...

Great article! Thanks.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Since the other two comments aren't really from anyone, I'll comment. Getting your book is a great feeling, promoting it takes a lot of work. I have a new one too, would love to be on your blog.

Marilyn

Jeana_OTP_PR said...

Holli , that is an very nice review! I just wanted you to know I sent that gal your book. I recognized her name.haha Glad to see she enjoyed it.

Cheap Gold for WOW said...

I just preferred one to know I sent that gal your book
Does anyone about to get andBuy World Of Warcraft Gold, does anyone have some good suggestions to get the fast and safeRS Gold, please tell me and thanks a lot who can help me.