Monday, September 19, 2011

Central Coast Book Festival

It was a beautiful day in San Luis Obispo!

Last year at the festival it was so windy that some of the umbrellas blew away and had to be chased down before they hurt someone, they did wipe out a couple of display tables.

The good weather brought lots of people out to see what was going on in front of the Old Mission. We were in a good spot and I had lots of visitors and good sales.

It was fun to chat with other OTP authors and see some perform at the author readings. (They happened right across the way from us so we didn't miss out on any.) Sunny was a hit as was Susan Vondrak.

One key to selling is to engage with people walking by. I didn't stand up like I usually do because I had a bum knee--but that didn't stop me from smiling and urging people to come closer to take a look at my books. I handed out all the business cards I'd brought, and I came with lots.

I wasn't as pleased with the talk I gave--it was a long ways to walk on a bum knee, it was way too hot in the room, the person who spoke before me was reluctant to leave so I didn't really have the time I needed to set up and I felt rushed. I probably won't do that again.

Fortunately, my husband manned the table while I was gone and he even made two sales.

This is a great book festival, and if possible, I'd like to go again.


Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com/

6 comments:

C.K.Crigger said...

Sounds like a great day, Marilyn. Wish we had something like this going on in my town! If I the energy, I'd set one up myself.

BillieJohn said...

Marilyn and all, we are discussing the possibilities of OTP having a several tables all together next year, so we can present as a group...it would be great to know how many takers we might have...any comments?

More fun, more support...strength in numbers! And of course a REALLY good excuse for the publisher to come to California!

Billie

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

It was great fun. I always like to have a table to myself--too many books for half a table. I wouldn't mind being next to the others though. A lot depends upon the weather if sales are good or not.

But I'd love to have my publisher come to California--and stay.

williamdoonan said...

This sounds like a blast. I hope I'm ready to go next year. I'm already thinking through some possible giveaways. Mardi Gras beads? Maybe. Cigarettes? Probably not. Frequent flier miles? Looking into it.

William Doonan
www.williamdoonan.com

Kit Sloane said...

Sounds like a fun idea, thought SLO is a good seven hr. drive from here, but then almost everything in California is a long way from everything else! What are the particulars for this? I'm assuming you have to pay to get a table?? Tell all, Marilyn!

Kit

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

You do have to pay for a table. This year I made a weekend of it since I was asked to be a speaker at the Central Coast Writers Conference on Saturday.

It can be a great book selling day or not--a lot depends upon the weather which you can never be sure of on the Central Coast. Only once was the weather bad enough that not many people came.