Saturday, September 3, 2011

Waiting for TS Lee

Down here in N.O. we are stuck indoors for a few days, waiting to see what kind of flooding, power outages, and wind damage tropical storm Lee may cause. It started yesterday, the pelting rain and hail and blustery wind keeping me up all night, waiting for the telltale sound of the freight train we've been warned accompanies tornadoes.

The rest of the family slept just fine, blissfully unaware that I was up, alternating between watching the news alerts and peering out the window, searching for funnel clouds. The weather isn't so bad at the moment, breezy with sporadic rain, but the storm hasn't even reached the coast yet. When it strikes land, we'll be in for a little action, because N.O. is going to be on what is referred to as the "wet side" of the storm, east of where the storm makes landfall.

I'm trying to decide how to use the downtime. I have promotion to do for Jambalaya Justice, my writer sites to catch up on and organize, and paperwork for my daughter's school--where I'm PTO president--to complete.

With all of that, the main thing I feel like doing is working on number three in the series, Chocolate City Justice. Coincidentally, I was contacted last night through Facebook by the fiance of one of the police officer defendants convicted in a major Katrina police shooting. She wanted to know if I might be appointed to represent her fiance on the appeal, but since it's a federal conviction and I'm appointed for state court only I won't be. She mentioned he read Gumbo Justice in a few hours and she is getting Jambalaya Justice for him to read while he awaits sentencing. I also mentioned to her how I am working on the third book which takes place during the hurricane and how eager I was to make sure I accurately and fairly portrayed the struggles faced by the NOPD during that time, and she said she would be happy to pass any questions along to him or set up a meeting with him. It's definitely a small world.

Holli Castillo
www.hollicastillo.com

5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Wow, Holli. Stay safe. Life isn't at all dull where you live, is it?

Marilyn

Sunny Frazier said...

Thanks for the eye-witness account of the storm. You know we all worry about you.

I have to ask though--what is Chocolate City? Is that a section of N.O. like the French Quarter?

freelance writers job said...

I like this post! Thanks a lot.

Holli said...

Sunny, Chocolate City was what our idiot mayor referred to our city after the hurricane in a speech where he said he was going to do what he could to help citizens return to the city to preserve its heritage, and at the end of the day it was going to be a chocolate city. It's based on a song by a group called Parliament.

Needless to say, the mayor did very little to help anyone, black or white, return to the city, and was pretty much just as ineffective in the months following the hurricane as he was during the hurricane, which is why he wasn't re-elected.

The third book will involve a similar speech but by a different politician.

Holli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.