Friday, October 7, 2011

Become a Better Blogger

It's great that we have this blog for Oak Tree authors. I'm guilty of not visiting as often as I should or could. Recently I posted the following tips on my blog, and I think they can be useful for all of us.

Here are some of the tips I have learned that can help one become a better blogger:

1. Focus. Pick a topic and become known mostly for that topic. Alex is known for his movie reviews. And, no, scattered is not a good topic!

2. Visit the blogs of others. Follow the blogs you like.

3. Tweet about your blog and the blogs you follow.

4. Post regularly, even if it is only once or twice a week.

5. Write often about those things that will help others. Write sometimes about the things you love. Although I don't believe I have many artists among my followers, I sometimes cannot resist writing about art. Occasionally, I need to write about baseball as well. That's definitely breaking the rule on focus.

6. Join blogfests that interest you. You'll meet new people there and make friends. You'll expand your horizon.

7. Spend an hour a day, if you can, developing your blogging skills. If you can only spare 30 minutes, use that time to your advantage. It will be time well-spent.

8. Take a look at your blog statistics and see which posts attract the most visitors. I have never topped the number of visitors I got the day I posted my thoughts on the sudden ending to the Medium television series.

Today, my book, Jungle Jeopardy  is highlighted on Michael Di Gesu's In Time blog.

Monti
Mary Montague Sikes
Passenger to Paradise books
NotesAlongTheWay

2 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Great post, Monti. Informative and interesting.

Marilyn

marja said...

All good advice, Monti. I can think of so many things I should post about.