Monday, November 7, 2011

The Astral Gift

I thought just for fun, I'd promote The Astral Gift which is available from Oak Tree Press on Kindle.

This was the first mystery I ever wrote. It has quite a varied history. First it was published by a publishing company in Canada that turned out to be crooked. At first they acted like any publishing company--then they began doing strange things. When they published The Astral Gift, I had a great book
signing set up and the company sent 50 books. Nearly all were sold. When I approached them for more books, they disappeared off the face of the earth. That meant no more books and no royalties at all.

Then I found a small publisher in Bakersfield who published the book as a mass market paperback as it had been previously. It sold moderately well. (This is the publisher who published the first of my Deputy Tempe Crabtree series and later passed away unexpectedly.)

I found another publisher, this one published the book as an e-book and trade paperback. Though I could tell the book was selling, I received no royalties. This publisher had other books of mine and still no royalties. I finally asked for an accounting and he sent me a really small check, but no accounting. Time to sever the relationship--and I did.

Eventually, I met Billie, she published my Rocky Bluff P.D. series that had been published by the publisher I just spoke about, then another publisher who did two of the books then decided to go out of business. When Kindle books became so popular--Billie agreed to put that one on Kindle which really hasn't done much.

I had a great time writing it, it's all about a young woman who was abused as a child and used astral projection as an escape. When she's grown, the astral projection returns unbidden and she has no control over it. When her roommate is murdered, she becomes the primary suspect because she knows too much about the crime. Of course there's some romance thrown in.

Have I ever astral projected? No, but you can research anything. I had a reader tell me that he knew I had because I described it so well. So--if you want to try something different, order The Astral Gift for your Kindle.

Marilyn

7 comments:

williamdoonan said...

Marilyn,

Thanks for the vivid reminder of how important it is to work with a reputable publisher. When I was first sending out queries for Grave Passage, I can't tell you how many "traditional publishers" told me they couldn't accept the manuscript at this time, but they would be willing to help me "self-publish" it through their company. No thank you!

William Doonan
www.williamdoonan.com

help with dissertation said...

Good post!)

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Anything that could go wrong with publishing has happened to me over the years. My first book was published in 1981 and I've just about seen and experienced it all.

BillieJohn said...

Ho! Ho! Ho! Seasons Greetings! A bit early, but Marilyn doesn't know about a holiday surprise that I am planning for her...one we can all enjoy!!

Billie

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Okay, Billy, what do you have up your sleeve?

Hire magento designer said...

Wow, superb very valuable article i can say. I love your articles. Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

ashishmaihu said...

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my cousin were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.
mens breeches