Friday, November 11, 2011

Yet another older title comes alive....



Manic Readers has been very busy reviewing several of our authors books, and many of them have been our older titles. Here is yet another for your reading pleasure. Great Job Augustus Cileone !~~






Maxwell Hunter is an English teacher for Eastern Friends School in Pennsylvania. Hunter has a keenness for mystery solving and is a perfectionist who specializes in detail. Because of Hunter’s position at the school and his familiarity with the people involved, Lt. Frank DiSalvo decides to ask for his help in solving the murder of George Wheeler. But, as it turns out, Wheeler isn’t the only one to be murdered as other bodies begin to pile up, each with bazaar circumstances and each in some way connected with the school. Because of his sharp eye for detail and his ability to assemble pieces of a puzzle, Hunter is able to identify a literary modus operandi. Can he use his knowledge to predict the next attack and prevent another murder?
I felt an immediate dislike for the protagonist Hunter, to me an aging hippie with a gigantic chip on his shoulder and in most instances would have stopped reading at that time. I’m glad I didn’t. A Lesson in Murder is a good story, the other characters are interesting and well developed and the plot is good as well. Overall it’s a good read and was well worth overlooking my aversion for one main character.



If you would like to See the review you can at http://www.manicreaders.com/index.cfm?disp=reviews&bookid=17235









5 comments:

Patricia Gligor said...

This review of "A Lesson in Murder" is a perfect example of something I've been thinking a lot about lately: giving up on a book before we give it a chance. There's so much emphasis for writers to grab the reader's attention immediately; the first sentence is supposed to propel the reader forward. I call it our "fast food mentality."
When I choose a novel to read, I always scan the first few paragraphs of the first page but not to be "propelled" into the story. I'm checking out the author's style to see if it appeals to me. I already know (from the title and the blurb) the book is a mystery so I trust there will be murder, suspense, etc. Some of the best novels I've read have started slowly or, as in this case, with a character I didn't like.

Kit Sloane said...

Pat's comment is right on the mark with me. All those silly "rules" for suspense and mystery. Write a compelling story with interesting characters and, believe me, people will continue reading. Think of Hannibal Lector if you don't think people like to read or watch the "unlikeables."

Kit (who often forgets to put a body in the first chapter or, perhaps, anywhere!)

www.kitsloane.net

research paper topics said...

very nice blog!)

web promo said...

Great post from an expert and it will be a great knowledge to us and thank you very much for sharing this valuable information with us.

teracheapgold said...

If you have much free WOW gold while you aslo need RUNESCAPE GOLD or Maplestory mesos/ NX, so you can Sell WOW Gold to us , because we have and also need much more wow gold for sale,RUNESCAPE GOLD or Maplestory mesos/ NX at the same time, so we can exchange with each other.