Monday, December 5, 2011

A basket case

Each year my parish hosts a charity fundraiser with a silence auction for gift baskets of goods and services donated by members and neighbors. This year I donated a "Mystery Lovers" basket with a signed copy of my book and four other mysteries written by people I know--novels that people would not find in a bookstore. The basket received four bids (one woman bid twice) for a winning bid was $48. The winner was excited that she won and I said I would personalize the book for her if she wanted. I don't get any of the money BTW--all of it goes to the church, the local food pantry and the homeless center.
OTP authors may want to consider donating your books to local service clubs for charity raffles or fundraisers. It's a great way to help a worthy cause, generate good will in your community, and promote your work. And for anyone making a gift basket of books, why not ask OTP authors for a contribution?
Sally Carpenter
"The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper"

19 comments:

buy research paper said...

Great interesting post!Great story thnks!

online writing jobs said...

hello) very good post! thank you

williamdoonan said...

Hi Sally,

Like the folks at "buy research paper" and "online writing jobs" I too enjoyed your post. Maybe we all need to be reminded now and again that all publicity is good publicity. Early this year, I donated copies of my books 'Grave Passage' and 'Mediterranean Grave' to my neighborhood association's silent auction. Sure, they raised some money, but just as important for me was that my books were sitting out there on a table all day long next to a giant punch bowl. That's publicity!

William Doonan
www.williamdoonan.com

essay help said...

Really nice post! I love it so much thanks!

essay examples said...

thanks a lot for the post! very interesting!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I do that a lot too. Especially if I'm speaking in a library, then I'll give them copies of my books. I also donate one when asked by someone on line.

essay writing said...

So great its all for you!Thnks!

Patricia Gligor said...

Sally, what a kind and generous thing to do! (Not to mention the fact that it's an excellent marketing strategy!)

cheap term papers said...

interesting post! like it

custom essays said...

Thank you so much for this valuable one :)

buy research papers said...

Great thisisireally nice!

Kit Sloane said...

I live near a very small town. Anyone who does anything around here is asked to contribute to various causes. Among other venues, my books are always auctioned off at the annual Rotary Crab Feast and, thank heavens, manage to bring in some $$$ for those good folks. And, who knows, perhaps the "lucky" reader will pick up more of the series!

Kit
www.kitsloane.net

essay writer said...

very original!

Cozy in Texas said...

This is a great idea. I'll let my writing group know.
Ann

write my essay said...

hehe very very cool

web promo said...

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.

vacation to maldives said...

Many thanks for such a write-up. I undoubtedly cherished reading it and talk about this it to my friends.

copywriter said...

Oh good. Nice ifomation and thank you very much. This information is really helpful. Write more.

litigation financing said...

This article helps me a lot. Nice work!