Friday, December 2, 2011

Letting libraries do the selling as well

To piggyback on Mike's previous post, writers shouldn't overlook libraries as a good promotion tool. I told my city library about my new book and that I was a local author. Within a month the library ordered five copies of the book, set up a display of the books and had me appear on an author panel. I've also donated copies of the books to other libraries in the county. One librarian contacted me today and said the book has been catalogued and is already circulating. Also, would I be interested in appearing in the library's once a month local author Q&A series? I also plan to mail a copy of the book to my hometown library in the midwest. People who read a library book and love it are likely to buy it, plus the libraries I contacted will no doubt be willing to purchase future books in my series as they come out.
Sally Carpenter
"The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper"

1 comment:

Sunny Frazier said...

I echo Sally's advice. I worked with our local library to create a Book Fest. Unfortunately, when there is a staff change in management, you have to start from scratch again until the support is there.