Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thinking About 2012 and Book Promotion

This is the time of year when everyone starts considering resolutions for the new year. At the top of my list, I have written, "Find ways for better book promotion."

Hmm. A list of ways for better book promotion might comprise my complete list.

I wonder where book signings should be on that list. Probably not at the top.

One of the authors at a group book signing in which I participated earlier this month commented rather grimly, "This is not the best way to sell books." She went on the explain that although she wasn't getting many sales that day, book signings were good for the independent book store owner. To remain in her good graces, she would continue to do signings there, she said.

"What is the best way?" I asked.

She replied by telling me about a program she gave last month at a college in New York state. Part of the prearranged agreement was that copies of her book would be placed on each chair for attendees at the meeting. Not only did she get the sales for those books, but she was paid as a program presenter and her expenses were covered as well. She told me about another author friend of hers who will not agree to speak to a group unless her book is given to each person who attends. What a wonderful way to promote a book and gain new readers.

What is on your list for book promotion? Do you have a list?


Monti
http://marymontaguesikes.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

williamdoonan said...

There has to be some way to commercialize this. The E-book revolution has allowed for some fantastic sponsorship opportunities. Why not have come commercial pages between the title page and the introduction. With enough revenue, the book could be "sold" on Amazon.com for free, and at that price point, people will download thousands of copies. How to move into this new market -- that I'm not yet sure how to do.

One 'cant'-miss' opportunity would be to put a page or two of recent OTB books at the back of every new OTP book for some nearly free publicity.

William Doonan
www.williamdoonan.com

buy research paper said...

So nice !uNbeliveable!

Patricia Gligor said...

In Cincinnati, on a local radio station, one of the announcers hosts a monthly book club meeting. She chooses a book to discuss and it's publicized prior to the meeting. She invites everyone to attend and also mentions when a local author will be stopping by. Great publicity!

Monti said...

Thank you, William and Patricia, for your comments. There are a lot of books out there, but not so many with the high quality of OTP books. Our local library sponsored a book club, but thus far has shown no interest in local authors.

The SPAM commenter disturbs me. I went to the site and was horrified to see advertisements for writing papers for college students. Sad commentary on society.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I seldom do bookstores anymore unless I've been invited. I do still like book and craft fairs, but my favorite is when I've been invited to speak at a library, or any service or social group.

Online promotion is my favorite and I'll be doing a blog tour in April, would love to be on some of my fellow mystery writers blogs. You can email me.

Marilyn

Monti said...

I agree, Marilyn. I love to speak to groups, also. Online is wonderful for promotion, and it saves a lot of travel time for those of us who don't live close to any book stores!

write my essay said...

So nice article! Thanks for sharing.

maldives tours said...

Wow... Thanks.. I'm at the first time on your blog! And I like it! Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good work.