Friday, February 3, 2012

Marilyn Meredith Is Guest Blogger at Notes Along the Way

Today Marilyn Meredith is the second ever guest blogger at Notes Along the Way. She is telling about her publishing journey from early on.

The publishing world has changed with amazing rapidity since we all began working in it. The youngest writers probably have no idea how much change has taken place, so I appreciate Marilyn explaining a little of it.

When I talk with my young (kindergarten through fifth grade) students, I realize they have no idea what a typewriter is. I'm sure they are also clueless about a dial telephone. The list goes on. There are hardships (like carbon copies) they will never face. If they go into media work, they will never have to dictate a news story over the telephone (as I did in my first reporting job).

Please stop by Notes Along the Way and read about Marilyn's experiences. If you'd like to leave a comment, both Marilyn and I would appreciate it.

Monti

7 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks for posting this Monti. I was fun to look back at how much has changed for the better as far as publishing goes.

Monti said...

Thanks, Marilyn. It's certainly wonderful not to have to erase errors on a manuscript and retype!!!

William Doonan said...

Not only do students today not use typewriters, many don't even use computers anymore. You can do almost anything right from a smartphone. I was talking in class this morning about checking Facebook as soon as I get home, and my students just laughed. They have Facebook right in front of them on their phones, always on!

William Doonan
www.themummiesofblogspace9.com

Monti said...

So right. The technology is moving so fast, it's impossible for older folks (above 20) to keep up!!!

Sally Carpenter said...

I remember when the first computers came out, when I was in college. The only people who could use them were the science geeks who used this complicated programming language. I looked at the computers and said, "It's just a glorified typewriter!" And anybody remember the first video game, Ping? Just two squares of light and a "ball." We've come a long way, baby.
Sally Carpenter

term paper help said...

This is absolutely awesom! Great work!

buy essay online said...

great) liked everything very much) keep it up and dont stop)