Sunday, March 25, 2012

MEET JASON HUNT

(Jason had trouble posting, so I'm giving him a hand--Sunny)

Jason Hunt here. This is my first time to post on the OTP Blog. My first western, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S GUNFIGHT, is coming out in May, so I thought I ought to introduce myself.

Where to begin.... Well, I wrote my first short story when I was pretty little, and I showed it to my father. He was delighted and paid me a quarter for it. I asked him if he'd pay me a quarter for another story. He said "yes" so I wrote another. And another. And another. Nevermind the tooth fairy, I was raking it in without having to tie a string to a doorknob!

I kept writing stories until one day, I was helping a neighbor clean out his garage and came across an old beat-up guitar. He said he was just going to throw it out and that I could have it if I wanted. So I took it, went home and was hooked. By the time I graduated from college, I had decided I was going to move to Nashville to write country music.

I arrived in Guitar Town the same week as Garth Brooks. :-) I got a job tending bar and he got a job selling Western boots. I even drove over to his store to buy my first pair of boots. As you might have guessed, Garth's career took a slightly different trajectory than mine.

While I was knocking around Music Row, I met and married my wife Cindy. Our first daughter, Angie, arrived a year later, and it wasn't long before I realized the songwriting life wasn't going work for us. So I went back to school for a Masters and worked as an adjunct faculty member teaching lit and writing classes. And at the same time I got back into writing fiction.

I started out writing hardboiled detective stories. I had written a mountain of detective stories and two novels when Sunny mentioned she was looking for Westerns. I have always been a huge Western fan and I had always wanted to write a book set in the old ghost town of Shakespeare, New Mexico. This seemed like the perfect opportunity.

And so A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S GUNFIGHT was born. I hope y'all take a look when it comes out in May!

Jason Hunt
Author of A Midsummer Night's Gunfight
Coming this May from Wild Oaks Press

6 comments:

Sunny Frazier said...

(Okay, I guess you people can figure out why I like this guy. The book is great!)

C.K.Crigger said...

Welcome to the world of westerns, Jason. The book sounds like a lot of fun.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Sounds like a great book, Jason. Best of luck with everything to do with it.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten into westerns for the first time (although I always loved western movies) because of Oak Tree. I'm really intrigued by the Shakespearean element of it, and I can't wait to read it.

--John Brantingham

http://thesistown.com/ said...

Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.

buy term paper said...

This is my first time comment at your blog.Good recommended website