Monday, March 19, 2012

The president of Epic, Anne Manning, and a delighted me.

After so many years being a finalist, the Susan Lucci syndrome was finally broken and I won an Eppie!

This whole event started out with problems. Hubby couldn't go because at the last minute we had a dreadful problem with our water pump. (When you have your own well, that's a big problem.) My airline trip was not good--I almost missed my transfer in Houston, not nearly enough time and way too far for this old lady to go and if it hadn't been for a kind lady who could see I was in stress and put me in a wheel chair and took me as far as she could go and then made sure one of those motorized carts was waiting for me, I'd never have made it.

I reached San Antonio starving, but checked into the hotel and conference and then ate a late breakfast/lunch.

Epic had a welcome party complete with more food later and that took care of dinner. Had a wonderful time catching up with friends I haven't seen for a long while.

The conference was great. I gave a presentation on blogs and blog tours which was well received. Friday night, a lot of us went on the river cruise--enjoyable and later I had dinner with friends including Billie and her cousin, Scarlett. Good food, good conversation.

I let everyone know that I would not be winning an Eppie, because I never won.

Saturday, more presentations, lots of time to visit, then the banquet. Wonderful food, more great conversation. Sat with Billie and her cousin. I was asked to give out some of the awards, agreed, it's fun because you read off the names of the nominees and their book titles, get to open the envelope, read the winners name and hand out the award.

Right before my turn was the category my book, Lingering Spirit was in. I must admit I had a case of nerves even though I knew I wouldn't win.

Then the impossible happened, my name and the book was named. Wow! Unbelievable. I hurried to the platform, was helped up the steps and accepted the most beautiful Eppie! I thanked Billie because she entered the book--I'd given up on entering ever again. What else I said, I have no idea.

I was just sorry Hap couldn't be there to enjoy the moment with me.

I handed out my card and bragged about my win to everyone I came across in the airport--again the time was far too short, but I asked to have a cart waiting for me and I was the first to be dropped off at an elevator and given directions as to where to go next (a train, get off at the first stop) and I made it in plenty of time--and to my seat mates on the plane and those I waited in line wth.

Woo hoo! I'm still floating on air.

Marilyn

11 comments:

William Doonan said...

Fantastico! That is truly great news. Congrats.

C.K.Crigger said...

LOL, Marilyn. You sound absolutely euphoric.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I was floating! Still am. Never thought I'd ever win one.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Another award winner for OTP!
Sally Carpenter

Monti said...

That is lovely. Sorry Hap couldn't have been with you!

Monti

WS Gager said...

Congrats Marilyn! Knew you were a winner and it didn't even take 13 years like Susan!
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I'm not sure how long it took to get my Eppie, but it was close to 13.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It was indeed quite a surprise and big honor. I'm so grateful our wonderful publisher thought enough of the book to enter it--because I wouldn't have.

marja said...

Oh, Marilyn, you soooo deserved the Eppie! Congratulations and I'm glad everything worked out in the end. I just might have to do a little floating on your behalf. :)

Mike Orenduff said...

I told you you'd win one! I wish I could have been there to see the look on your face. Congratulations for an award that is long overdue.

Mike

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thank you, Marja--and Mike, I truly never expected to get an Eppie. I screamed really loud.

Sunny Frazier said...

Huge atta-girl for the win. I'm sure Hap was there in spirit--a bit damp but rooting you on!