Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Goodreads ads

My second non-genre novel, Feast or Famine, is now an ebook on Kindle. It's a comedy-drama which depicts what happens when the tension between the Catholic Church’s restrictions on self-indulgence and the Italian desire for food, gambling, physical passion, and expensive (although tacky) material things encounters the social upheaval of the late 1960’s and early 1970’s.

I signed up for an ad campaign on Goodreads. I followed their advice to place two ads, one targeting authors with similar stories or style and another aimed at genres consistent with my story. After two weeks, I have not had many people clicking on the ads to find out about the book. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to make the Goodreads ads successful.

Gus Cileone
author of
A Lesson in Murder and
Feast or Famine
www.augustuscileone.com

4 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

This is something I've never tried. To be perfectly honest, I'm not that handy with Goodreads at all.

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Goodreads either, but your novel sounds really interesting. Good luck with it.

--John Brantingham

Kit Sloane said...

Gosh, Gus, my father was a Madison Avenue ad exec of the Mad Men era and he used to say, as we authors lament, no one knows what makes certain things sell. If everyone knew, we'd all do it. Best advice is to do what you're doing. By presenting your story in different ways, you may hit on a winning combo.

Good luck and if you hit on something that works, spread the word!

Kit
www.kitsloane.net

Gus Cileone said...

Thanks for your comments.