Monday, June 18, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream (The Song)




In my mind, the novel-writing process has three parts: write the book, publish the book, sell the book. I wrote the book, and Oak Tree Press/Wild Oaks has taken care of the publishing part. Now it's time for part three: promoting the book and selling copies.

I have been doing a lot of the "standard" stuff, but I wanted to come up with more ways to leverage social media. I was sitting up one night, trying to think of something innovative, but I was not having much luck. What I usually do when I'm stuck on something is to play around on the guitar. It's sort of like meditation for me.

So I picked up the guitar and started plucking away. I started thinking of all the Westerns I grew up watching. They all had cool, atmospheric music -- ranging from the theme songs for "High Noon" and "Cat Ballou" to the unforgettable scores Ennio Morricone wrote for the Clint Eastwood spaghetti Westerns, like "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

And then it just sort of happened. I stumbled on some low, twangy riff, and that developed into a melody, and then verses and a chorus. And before I knew it, I had a whole song! In the next week or two, I plan to make a video of it and put it up on YouTube, but in the meantime, what better place to debut the lyrics than the Oak Tree Press blog!

And so, without further ado, the lyrics to "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (the song):

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S GUNFIGHT

Kyle William Lees roams the West with two guns
And a list of thirteen guilty men
They murdered his family and left him for dead,
Never dreaming they’d see him again
But the Angel of Mercy, she spared him
And the Angel of Death knows him well
He smiles each time Kyle pulls his gun and sends one more
Condemned desperado to Hell

So reach for the sky or go for your gun
There’s just Heaven and Hell and you’ve got to choose one
So dive into darkness or crawl towards the light
In a Midsummer Night’s Gunfight

Shakespeare, New Mexico, lies in the desert,
A town without any law
Men wanting whisky and ghosts seeking vengeance
Descend on her streets after dark
But the Angel of Mercy forsakes them
And the Angel of Death merely smiles
As into the town rides a man with two guns
And a list, and the man’s name is Kyle

So reach for the sky or go for your gun
There’s just Heaven and Hell and you’ve got to choose one
So dive into darkness or crawl towards the light
In a Midsummer Night’s Gunfight

There’s no time for sadness, there’s no time for sorrow
The last shall be first in the casket tomorrow
The first shall be last to abandon all hope
As he swings by the neck from the end of a rope

So reach for the sky or go for your gun
There’s just Heaven and Hell and you’ve got to choose one
So dive into darkness or crawl towards the light
In a Midsummer Night’s Gunfight
The Angel of Death has you dead in his sites
In a Midsummer Night’s Gunfight


Jason Hunt, author of A Midsummer Night's Gunfight, coming t his month from WILD OAKS!!

7 comments:

Shalanna said...

YES!!! YES!!! Can we do a joint book signing later in July/August? I am an alto but I have a fairly wide range into soprano for the duet. No, REALLY. I'm in Texas, so if you sign in Texas, let's get together, yeah yeah yeah. (Gratuitious "Parent Trap" reference)

I can see that I will have to sneak out more grocery money to get your book. This is getting heinous. No more Rice Krispies for Grandma.

When I release my ghost story LOVE IS THE BRIDGE, I would like to put MP3s of the instrumentals/songs that my main character writes (and talks about in the text) on my website, but I have been told I should charge for them. We'll see. Every book has its soundtrack.

JasonHunt said...

An alto/soprano, huh? And from Texas? You are definitely alright in my book! :) In fact, some of my best friends are Texans! (Kinky Friedman and Guy Clark were big supporters of mine when I was in Nashville.)

I'm not sure when I'll make it down to Texas, but I am looking forward to your new story and the .mp3s!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're following in the tradition of the singing cowboy. A definate Top 40 hit.
Sally Carpenter

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! The western should have that kind of scope -- Shakespeare and bullets. I love it.

--John Brantingham

Holli said...

I found myself singing the song by the end--completely awesome song.

I would never in my life had paired Shakespeare and westerns but I think it might just be genius.

Holli Castillo

Shalanna said...

@Jason: I VOTED FOR KINKY, so it is not my fault what has happened in Texas over the last few years. People didn't elect him because he didn't have a pat answer for every question--he would say, "I don't know, because I don't have the Governor's resources to research both sides, but when I get in there, I'll research that." Voters wanted a Big Daddy who'd say, "Don't worry your pretty little heads--I'll take care of you all." Sheesh!

If only we can get to selling as well as Kinky does, eh?

Do try to make it to Texas. We'll leave the light on for ya!