Saturday, July 14, 2012

Book Signing and Launch a Success

I learned a lot from my children's, book launch and signing experience today: Pick a well-traveled spot; bring a camera; buy a large banner; bring balloons, stuffed animals and a colorful display; have book marks and business cards; bring plenty of books; invite lots of friends; have cookies and an activity for the children; and finally enjoy talking with customers.  If you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

The children especially enjoyed making their own special hand-made book we called a "magic book form" because it can be made with any size paper and is easy to construct. Those who couldn't or didn't want to make a book, drew pictures on the back side of my book marks, which hopefully they took home as a reminder to their parents.

Of course, a special thanks to Lesa Smith owner of Whiz Kids Toy Store who sponsored this event. She was very helpful  in setting up the tables, etc and working with the children on book construction. Gini Griffin, the illustrator for one of the books we were launching "Camouflage", also came to sign her book and provide encouragement. The other book I launched today was "Ants on a Log". A third Oak Tree book, "The Mysterious Case of the Missing Birthday Cake" will be launched in September in front of a traditional book store. I trust I will have as much fun at this event as I did today. Beryl


2 comments:

Shalanna said...

Yes! That was a great experience, Beryl! I know the kids will remember that as part of their magical childhood. Keeping our fingers crossed that the parents look at those bookmarks and get the clue to order.

Nice job!

(I must remember BALLOONS for my next signing.)

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Thanks for you support; my fingers are always crossed.

I see that part of my job as a writer of children's books is to encourage children to write and illustrate their own stories, to realize that such stories are all around them and that everyone has a story to tell. With self publishing so easy maybe I can also encourage their parents to get involved and help these children see their creations in print. I know from my own experience with my granddaughter that seeing her books actually in print as a "real book" was a magical experience for her.

And balloons are always fun. Beryl