Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Promotion Is Hard Work!

One of my more frustrating journeys into the world of book marketing concerns my own promtional efforts as a new author.  From what I gather, it takes money to make money...but what if you're like me, and don't have a lot of money to spend?  I receive countless emails from promotional companies who would love to work with me...for a fee, of course!!  This can be from $900 per month, or a package deal for only $3500!  I've taken some tips from the Oak Tree Press Handbook, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear from you!  I do try to keep up with the blog circuit, and I've been lucky to be featured on other author and book industry blogs, but I'd like to hear about other ways to promote my work...and do so for free or for very little money.  Please feel free to contact me at merrellspassion@aol.com, and check out my website at http://www.merrellspassion.info/.  I always enjoy interfacing with other authors, especially my colleagues at Oak Tree Press.   
-- Debra McReynolds, writing as Marva Dale
author of "Death of a Flapper"

6 comments:

Beryl Reichenberg said...

As you have discovered, it's a tough world out there especially with the economy as it is. Marketing is one of the most difficult part of our job. In fact, I often feel the writing is easy compared to marketing. I'm not sure what you have tried, but I find personal contact with independent book stores and other outlets, does pay off - sometimes one book at a time. No magic bullet, I'm sorry to say. All I can say, is you just keep going, one step at a time and don't give up. Beryl

Beryl Reichenberg said...

As you have discovered, it's a tough world out there especially with the economy as it is. Marketing is one of the most difficult part of our job. In fact, I often feel the writing is easy compared to marketing. I'm not sure what you have tried, but I find personal contact with independent book stores and other outlets, does pay off - sometimes one book at a time. No magic bullet, I'm sorry to say. All I can say, is you just keep going, one step at a time and don't give up. Beryl

William Doonan said...

I agree with Beryl - no magic bullet. That being said, you can ill-afford to be in this business without Facebook, Twitter, blog, and website. Also, thank you notes to everyone who helps in any way.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I agree William, the internet part of marketing is important. But with children's picture books, the illustrations are as important as the story line, so a actual copy is critical. Besides I enjoy the personal contact. When I go traveling, I've learned to take a few copies with me; I never know when an opportunity might open up.

I notice I managed to get a duplicate message on this blog; I wonder how that happened? May have been due to the lateness of the hour or maybe I was seeing double. Beryl

Kit Sloane said...

I really would NOT pay for these PR services. They can do lots of things that look good on paper, but this does not mean people will then buy your books, which is, of course, the bottom line. Better to just get your name out there anyway you can. Become a name people will recognize when they're in a book-buying mood and that is a freebie for you!

Kit
www.kitsloane.net

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Kit is right. What these promo people do who you pay is send info out about your books to everyone who posts reviews and interviews on their blogs asking for a review or interview. I know because I get these emails by the dozen. Once in a blue moon I might do an interview. I seldom do a review from this source, I have too many other books to review from authors I know.