Wednesday, September 5, 2012

For me, being interviewed for a radio show brings both excitement and a bit of anxiety. I'm excited about being able to explain my creative process and promote my children's books but somewhat anxious about what to say and how what I say will be received. Fortunately, the audio will be edited before the program airs, which means most of the "ahs", "ums", etc. will be gone.

When talking to individuals face to face about my stories, I can tell by my audiences facial expressions and comments whether or not my meaning is clear and relevant. I prefer this one on one contact. But when my words go out over the airwaves, I have no such feedback and must trust the interviewer to edit my comments so they sound intelligent and informative.

I am fortunate that last night my interviewer, Crissa Hewitt for "Ears on Art"( a local, PBS radio program) was both skilled and friendly. We had a delightful conversation about the nature of art, educating children, writing for young children and how to encourage children to produce their own stories and art.   The interview will air next Wednesday, 9/12 at 4:30, so you will have an opportunity to judge whether or not I was successful. Beryl

3 comments:

Kit Sloane said...

Oh, I'm sure you did splendidly! My one radio interview was hilarious. It was a small, local station and for some reason they were taking phone calls during their questioning of me about my latest book. Talk about getting off topic—I think we ended up discussing algae in the lake! I'm sure your interviewer was more professional.

Congratulations!
Kit
www.kitsloane.net

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Beryl, sounds like you did a great job with your interview. I like to do the radio ones on the phone if the
interviewer knows what they are doing, not like Kit's experience.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Thanks Kit and Marilyn for your encouragement. I'm not sure how I did, but hopefully the interviewer will make some sense of it. I think getting off topic may be more fun and makes for a livelier conversation than staying on script. You do what you do and hope it comes out ok. Beryl