Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fun!

Whenever I attend my book signing or other author event, I usually take along some bright colored paper to demonstrate folded book forms to children and sometimes adults. The children are more adventurous, especially the 7 though 10 year olds. Afterwards, they have a book they can take home to write a story or draw a picture in and hopefully remember me or my books.  There is an added advantage: while their child is making their book and writing their stories, the parents are looking at my OTP books and other materials on display. I also bring along balloons and some small stuffed animals which delight and attract the children.

Yesterday at my signing at Coalesce Bookstore in Morro Bay, one 10 year old sat down and spent a half an hour with me, folding, drawing and writing in her book. She decided on a Halloween theme and used my stuffed bat as a basis for her drawing. She called her book, Candy Bat, a most creative title. From time to time when she was stuck with her creation, she'd ask for help. I'd ask her if she wanted to use dialogue or prompt her with a question like, "And then what happened?" Fortunately, her mother was busy in the bookstore, so everyone was happy.

I enjoy talking with children and encouraging them to be creative either by writing stories, drawing or both. After all, these are the next generation of authors and artists. Beryl

4 comments:

William Doonan said...

What a great idea. Book signings terrify me, so maybe a judicious use of props and crafts would help. Thanks!

Beryl Reichenberg said...

It terrifies me too. But I find being able to stop people for some other reason besides buying my book, makes the job easier. I do better one on one. Now, if I could only get rid of my stage fright before a large audience! Beryl

Augie said...

Beryl I love this idea. Augie

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Feel free to use it, Augie. Beryl